Gas Control Valve

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avant

Reaction score
My fireplace wont light. I flip the switch and I am getting a spark but doesn't seem like there is any gas coming out. I am pretty sure the control valve is dead. It didn't work when we bought the house.

I can't seem to find this exact part. I find some that are similar but they all say 3.3" and mine says 3.5". I am not sure the size makes a difference.

attached is a picture of the control valve. Can I just replace with the 3.3" or any others? Thanks!

-mcTHCZo0bZM9wu_xzCHqhdUApkofjdcf8-KUHYupBch-McZLmFNGotyYYVdZj055607HQqAgJYrFfL2VkZmWetOkunkmg1EQ3IK15TR3rTXeAF_P-kbHi7hiNXNDezMqKM-l1FhHiNf7d17o78E6NSnGW-46MBhiRJ0FphOOjTKkPnjP6h0vjy-9SAJUywAn74rTB8UqegBtEj0QLAs4eVd7-YvOV7ImLijkID957Ba6GWhODftufsYHLKkXPHss9N_gl4RTgUBABa8iLopC5fSOgT49m1nfPlSxPlxFcdiAMcAp8jWZyI81yr9ikl07Fvs6JZsaLfdQIkx4vv7XwqJsrNHPdbD9GwegftuTvClkSr9dWdSZnpXD4WrUOaETerqj1zs15cFX48XzKOZwmZD4e4mXxj3Xs4d-tDlGw5iR-mB_ZiW1sQLYtzGuwv9hljXIrt5Qi7Yr3XH8MEM5T1kF9d88_EUj1P-ekXzvRoJiGthzBpx6FVU1JmQB5UbNbhZWWzzKKuuJ9R1aCkWvfWzF9y43pUfo9NLspB6ioGgNQiPIEW0LBmtG9yKdhOXaR2RD5QDCL-paq53A90KCinHAeqScrF2DCOHn3pUAdRZYs0=w2564-h1442-no

phOf6jv71qfxdoVTdHOU3U99iV_55mvB8-HheSYGdEP521gzkMbQgsejtohthLP9LrOXmjBsKutr07GF7WCX0NGgWHDVl63FBqCQotcU1M81UKLirQKbTL6i4yAEZM2tvjAwgt_bkEVwu_GBhkSKBHhDk-a4d3_5FehIatIMTm25IbCc6sN2dkZs5w-yz9uoHjLaIrUNcb2G07FEx_c9rhCJTVLpEHe_mrvk9KVsewtvudKQh85eGQXMMQNlAlEP6JLw7QlfaID_IUdnBo0jxHcYyLFdqz6mmy23wBKgeVTpU-gds8hm6wKzm9xg6nf7IscvK8TeFHjgJOI-EI1f3nWOaUTKQTkErNDg_5gPMihcgNeUQuHc-v6h8SqHoEd4hDTMGQmnt3KK5ilRYwoPuuuKZbKI_NQpN6MdaEBSH0UwVKd0HjFMdjWSjFhSZ3__acruPCnzY3i6RuLnyNcFB7DUr3eOlVeBXQnUkaj8Pi-_NWHkLuBBtOfWhnXTBJMcMT4Xgxx2HI1bJZ0XhRvqU0v6moqkxg6LLafrNVcv1TlQjsgag2Q5t5b-TFo-sc8ISAJ6tq4kharUr0WBhIRFPjFtWtWaEiadzCn_ZA__tjR_Yuk=w2564-h1442-no

Last edited:
most likely, in all probability, you have air in the line.

try this

turn on gas valve with the key provided....the valve should be with in 3' of the fire box

valve.jpg
gas.jpg
now.... push the button that says "pilot" hold it in..
at the same time, touch a flame to the pilot
lighter_1.jpg
pilot.jpg

at first, nothing will light, air is in the line,,
when the pilot lights up...release the button, turn the button to "ON"

you can now turn it off, and use the ignighter button

Last edited:
I do not have a traditional gas valve where you can use the key.

When I pop the bottom off I have a Gas line where I can shut off the gas with a inline lever.

Then on the gas valve it self there is a hole that says "pilot" but there is nothing in the actual hole. It is just metal with no opening. There is no pilot button to press or anything.

I am getting a constant spark when I flip the switch, just no gas coming out to ignite.

Last edited:
I do not have a traditional gas valve where you can use the key.

When I pop the bottom off I have a Gas line where I can shut off the gas with a inline lever.

Then on the gas valve it self there is a hole that says "pilot" but there is nothing in the actual hole. It is just metal with no opening. There is no pilot button to press or anything.

I am getting a constant spark when I flip the switch, just no gas coming out to ignite.

found this might help with some tests but is for a unit with pilot.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_yoGKqFjOo[/ame]

Yea, My valve only has a on and off switch. no thermocouple also. There was a screw that I took out and confirmed that gas is being feed to the valve, it just is not "turning on" to allow gas to go out to the fireplace. So I am pretty sure the valve might be done.

It could have air in the system but not a clue how to purge this one as there are no thermo or anything else.

Also, does it have to be 3.5"? I found plenty of 3.3" that match all the other specs.

Series Application Universal Model
Factory Part Number 7000DERHC
Pressure Regulation 3.5" WC Natural Gas
Capacity 720,000 BTU
Inlet Size 1"
Electrical Rating 24V AC @ 60 Hz
Comments High Capacity
Outlet Size 1"
Maximum Inlet Pressure 14" WC (1/2 PSI)
this is from the site I posted above

Yep, those specs all match up. Didn't think they were so much money. Saw some for a bit cheaper but they were 3.3"

Turns out my valve is too old and they do not make it. Found a replacement valve and will be here Friday.

Nealtw,

As always, thanks for the help!

will you post a picture of he piping, i want to see the valve, and pilot light

have you removed the regulator and Verified gas to unit ?

will you post a picture of he piping, i want to see the valve, and pilot light

have you removed the regulator and Verified gas to unit ?

Yep, there is gas getting to the valve. I confirmed that. There was a vent screw i pulled out and when opening the gas line it actually comes out of the gas valve.

The gas shut off valve is just a red lever inline on the gas line.

There is no pilot light at all on this system. You flip a switch on the wall and the system provides a spark (like a taser) So no pilot light.

os it have a little door on the burner rod

that is to adjust air fuel mix,

the new log lighter installed, is it natural gas or propane.

the orafice is inside where that door is

ll.jpg

Last edited:
So i got a new valve. it fires up but then shuts off after a few seconds. the ignition module sales "ignition lockout" I am guessing a bad electrode?

The lockout feature shuts off all gas at the valve should pilot ignition fail to occur after a period of 60 seconds

since you do not have a pilot ,,,the valve is saying the pilot is not lite.a safety feature, it is shutting the valve off.

you either need to install a pilot
or bypass the safety feature
or get a valve with out the lock out

what is the name brand of the valve and the part number

Latest posts

Back