60+ft painting / hillside / scaffolding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stajuddin

Reaction score
My house - such as it is - is build into a forest hillside. One side of the house is 2 stories. The other side of the house (hillside) is 5 stories. Needless to say, it's been challenging finding painters who can repair and repaint exterior trim that is rotten or damaged (by woodpeckers).

I'd like to hear from people that have attacked similar problems or anything remotely similar. These are my options (led me know if I'm characterizing them inaccurately)

- 60 ft ladder (can't reach)
- 60 ft ladder mounted on a temporary/permanent platform (like a sun deck or trellis). In my case, the deck would have to be on 15 foot posts and have linear length of maybe 30 foot with a bend around a corner to reach all the perimeter needed. Might not even be safe or code-allowed.
- Scaffolding - very expensive to rent - can I buy my own and convey it with the house? If I do, how do I erect it safely and such that painters will want to work on it and still maintain their insurance. What other issues does scaffolding present?
- Pumpjacks - I'm not sure pumpjacks will reach that high. I don't even know who to contact about a pumpjack rental (or purchase).
- Hoists - Can someone be hoisted up to paint (or repair trim)?
- Mechanical lifts - This would be ideal, mobile, and probably have the right height. The problem would be rolling a lift down the hill (both sides have steep grades, street barriers, and inaccessible parkland that is not my property) to a stable mounting position to reach all the trim. Would this be expensive?

I have no doubt this is an expensive project. I just want to know who are the best professionals to scope out the work and go at it. I've not found anyone on AngiesList who can wrap their head around it.

Interesting problem / project. All are possible, but getting a scissor lift down to the right spot seems the least probable. Maybe a really long cherry picker. Bridge painters deal with this stuff a lot. Could you call around and ask their opinions, even if they decline the job?

google search scaffolding installation service and you will get a local company that will rent and install for you. Expensive, pretty much.

First off :welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Now, my suggestion is walk away from Angies List or any of the pay to play help sites. Go to your local paint store, not the "Big Box Stores", an actual paint store that services painting contractors and ask for referrals.

Now about scaffolding or lift, insist that the contractor provides that in their bid. This takes you out of the liability factor.

Then, see if you can break the project up in phases, this might make it more manageable from a financial standpoint.

Just my :2cents:

Latest posts

Back