Wood stripped screw hole

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnzebo

Reaction score
How do I fix a worn strike plate stripped screw hole?

Is this a good video to follow? [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIanKfKyiVY[/ame]

Just use a longer screw that's the same gauge so the screws into the framing behind the jamb not just in the jamb.

The repair in the video works in that application because of the amount of wood in the door frame, where in a door jamb there is very little wood on either side of the latch hole
and forcing a plug will result in the door jamb splitting, and it why a longer screw is the more sure repair.

Finding a 7 or 9ga screw may be a little difficult, but 8ga will work.

Wooden match sticks was the trick 50 years ago.
Security screws are the right size and length to reach the wood behind the jam.

I go with longer screws even if I have to chamfer the strike plate for a larger headed bigger screw. I do a lot of rentals so I see a lot of 'kick-ins' with the low-rent houses and I can say positively that a screw catching only the door frame is worthless for security and when kicked makes a mess of the frame. All mine get screwed into the house framing with that area well-shimmed in between. It's pretty easy to hang a new door in a good frame but it can be a bugger to replace the frame itself which will always cost you more in time and materials both.

Phil

Matchsticks and toothpicks is about the only handy fix that I remember my dad teaching me (he really wasn't all that handy). It does work well when filling a hole in solid wood. But the guys are right about longer screws in the case of a strike plate.

Latest posts

Back