I have so many questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00naomi00

Reaction score
I am doing my first ever remodel on the first home we've ever bought, while my husband is deployed to a foreign country. I have found a contractor I feel comfortable using, within a reasonable budget. Unfortunately, with that comes doing a lot of the work on my own. I am having to research and purchase all materials and can't say I even know where to start. The company is charging me $13.5K in labor to do the kitchen, master bath and built-ins around the fireplace. Would anyone be willing to assist me at all as far as the best places to gain knowledge for materials? How do I know what materials to buy and where to buy them from? Where is a good place to buy plumbing fixtures? How do I know how much tile to price out? Where can I find reasonably priced tile? What is a good luxury vinyl product for a kitchen and bathroom? Where is a good place to find pulls/knobs for kitchen cabinetry? Should I take the free 18 gauge sink that comes with my countertop purchase? How do I price out glass for a shower surround? I'd be grateful for any help that anyone would be willing to give. Thank you!

Did you get at least two other bids before settling on this contractor?
Is he going to be sub'ing any part of the job?
Will he offer to pass along his contractor discount on materials purchase?
Has a detailed contract been drawn up?

Would anyone be willing to assist me at all as far as the best places to gain knowledge for materials?
Sure that's what we're here for. Start with a trip to a kitchen/bath remodel showroom for ideas on options and pricing.

How do I know what materials to buy and where to buy them from?
Depends on what your doing and budget.

Where is a good place to buy plumbing fixtures?
Online direct from manufacturer or authorized retailer.

How do I know how much tile to price out?
Length times width of room (rounded up) = square feet, LxW=Sq.Ft.
square feet is how tile is priced.

Where can I find reasonably priced tile?
Flooring store

What is a good luxury vinyl product for a kitchen and bathroom?
Go Brandname, see online or a flooring store.

Where is a good place to find pulls/knobs for kitchen cabinetry?
Cabinet/Hardware store or online sites.

Should I take the free 18 gauge sink that comes with my countertop purchase?
Ask about additional cost on upgrades.

How do I price out glass for a shower surround?
You'll most likely have to purchase a kit that fits your bathroom, otherwise a kitchen/bath showroom can measure and custom build/install one for you.

So if you are buying all the material, I hope you are not paying him until the job is done, will a permit be drawn.
Usually when doing the kitchen, some wiring will need to be upgraded and in some places if you have touch wiring in a kitchen the whole kitchen has to be brought up to new codes.

Take real good measurements of the kitchen and draw a little picture of that, take that to Lowes or Home Depot, they will help you figure out what fits and then go on line and compare prices
Don't forget to measure the stove and fridge and hood vent you want and size and location of windows.

It does'nt sound like you know enough to take this on, how much time do we have. You have a lot of learning to do.

Did you get at least two other bids before settling on this contractor?
Yes, I did and chose this one that was right in the middle. Not the most expensive, but not the cheapest.
Is he going to be sub'ing any part of the job?
Yes, he is sub'ing out the work and I have asked for a lien waiver as well as information regarding warranty on the work.
Will he offer to pass along his contractor discount on materials purchase?
No, he has not offered to pass on his contractor discount
Has a detailed contract been drawn up?

Yes, it has been reviewed and I've requested changes

Would anyone be willing to assist me at all as far as the best places to gain knowledge for materials?
Sure that's what we're here for. Start with a trip to a kitchen/bath remodel showroom for ideas on options and pricing. I have gone to the big box stores to see some of the options available. The problem is, I'm not sure what to compare these products to or if I know I'm getting a good deal.

How do I know what materials to buy and where to buy them from?
Depends on what your doing and budget.
Full kitchen remodel (cabinetry, countertops, sink, faucet, flooring, backsplash, new floor plan) and master bathroom update (floors, stand alone tub, shower extension, tile work, lighting, new sink and shower fixtures). My budget is $18.5K for materials

Where is a good place to buy plumbing fixtures?
Online direct from manufacturer or authorized retailer.

How do I know how much tile to price out?
Length times width of room (rounded up) = square feet, LxW=Sq.Ft.
square feet is how tile is priced.

Where can I find reasonably priced tile?
Flooring store

What is a good luxury vinyl product for a kitchen and bathroom?
Go Brandname, see online or a flooring store.

Where is a good place to find pulls/knobs for kitchen cabinetry?
Cabinet/Hardware store or online sites.

Should I take the free 18 gauge sink that comes with my countertop purchase?
Ask about additional cost on upgrades. I asked about the upgrades and they were: $180 for a 16 gauge stainless steel under mount or $395 for luxury damage resistant sink in any color of choice.

How do I price out glass for a shower surround?
You'll most likely have to purchase a kit that fits your bathroom, otherwise a kitchen/bath showroom can measure and custom build/install one for you.

So if you are buying all the material, I hope you are not paying him until the job is done, will a permit be drawn.
Usually when doing the kitchen, some wiring will need to be upgraded and in some places if you have touch wiring in a kitchen the whole kitchen has to be brought up to new codes.

Take real good measurements of the kitchen and draw a little picture of that, take that to Lowes or Home Depot, they will help you figure out what fits and then go on line and compare prices
Don't forget to measure the stove and fridge and hood vent you want and size and location of windows.

It does'nt sound like you know enough to take this on, how much time do we have. You have a lot of learning to do.

He is not getting the full payment until all work is complete. He has asked for 50% deposit. What permit needs to be drawn?

The home is only 10 years old. Would I be that far out of code?

I have CAD drawings done of the kitchen layout. Cabinetry has been ordered and countertops are ordered.

That's what I'm afraid of....I thought the contractor was going to guide me a bit, but I'm left hanging to figure out materials all on my own.

This does not sound right to me.
Most times when you hire a general contractor, he makes recommendation on products and suppliers for you to pick out products. A flooring company will have their own people to lay the floor. Pick out cupboard and they install them.

Also check state contractor laws, here in California I can not ask for more than 10% up to 1,000 before I start any project.

I would set up a payment plan, so much for each item finished. Hold 10% as retention to make sure he finishes his work. Only pay that when everything is to your liking.

Seems odd how he is doing it.

This does not sound right to me.
Most times when you hire a general contractor, he makes recommendation on products and suppliers for you to pick out products. A flooring company will have their own people to lay the floor. Pick out cupboard and they install them.

I was afraid of this! I have researched his company and they meet all requirements. Even getting an A+ rating with the BBB. I have not been given any recommendations at all for suppliers. I had planned to purchase the flooring from a box store and the contractor was going to lay it.

Have you checked his licences, his insurance and asked for his workers companionship account number. Even with his number you can call them and check him out.
Ask to talk to his subs so you can get their recommendation on suppliers, you will soon find out if he has pros or a bunch of handymen.
Not sure if you need a permit, that might change from place to place. Check with the city.

I am just not sure what you are paying this guy for.
We have member here that have been ripped off by bad contractors and it is always very sad, so the red flags go up.

Have you checked his licences, his insurance and asked for his workers companionship account number. Even with his number you can call them and check him out.
Ask to talk to his subs so you can get their recommendation on suppliers, you will soon find out if he has pros or a bunch of handymen.
Not sure if you need a permit, that might change from place to place. Check with the city.

I am just not sure what you are paying this guy for.
We have member here that have been ripped off by bad contractors and it is always very sad, so the red flags go up.

Yes, his license and insurance all check out. I will ask about the companionship account number, because I have never heard of this before.

I am meeting one of the subs Monday, so I can ask some more questions. I will make a call to the city tomorrow regarding the permits.

The money he is asking for is for the labor. He is asking for $13.5K in labor costs, but I'm doing the demo on the kitchen and also all the material shopping.

Depending on what you have on the floor now, if the plan is to put new plywood over old the new plywood will want to go under the new cupboards
I would go with the heavier stainless sinks the other upgrade is nice but that has to be to your taste.
Counter tops are measured after the cower cupboard are in.
The sink has to match the size of the cupboard below or at least not to big for the cupboard below.

What all are you doing in the bathroom, move toilet, tub, shower, new vanity and sink and counter top.

I was afraid of this! I have researched his company and they meet all requirements. Even getting an A+ rating with the BBB. I have not been given any recommendations at all for suppliers. I had planned to purchase the flooring from a box store and the contractor was going to lay it.

So how did you go about already ordering cabinets and such?
I would not go this route with any contractor. Is he doing this at your request?
Stay away from big box stores, the quality isn't that good.
As a General, he should be getting with his subs and presenting you with material recommendations while educating you on pros/cons of choices.
Also, offer to pass on his pricing. If you purchase all the material, he has an "out" on warranty as he will claim that's not what he would have done and you insisted on sub-par materials.
Permits may be required for plumbing and electrical.

Depending on what you have on the floor now, if the plan is to put new plywood over old the new plywood will want to go under the new cupboards
I would go with the heavier stainless sinks the other upgrade is nice but that has to be to your taste.
Counter tops are measured after the cower cupboard are in.
The sink has to match the size of the cupboard below or at least not to big for the cupboard below.

What all are you doing in the bathroom, move toilet, tub, shower, new vanity and sink and counter top.

There is tile on the floor now and plan to replace with luxury vinyl. The subfloor has durarock on top of it. The flooring is being done before the cabinetry comes in.

How do I know what the heavier stainless is? Is the lower gauge number the stronger product?

Countertop company is coming in to make a template once cabinetry is in and they are also doing the installation. I will make sure to take the measurements of the cabinetry with me when purchasing the sink.

For the bathroom, I have a stand alone tub that is going in, taking out a linen closet to extend shower. Re-tiling shower and wall behind tub. New floors and new bathroom shower and sink fixtures. Floor plan is staying the same with exception of the linen closet being removed.

So how did you go about already ordering cabinets and such?
I would not go this route with any contractor. Is he doing this at your request?
Stay away from big box stores, the quality isn't that good.
As a General, he should be getting with his subs and presenting you with material recommendations while educating you on pros/cons of choices.
Also, offer to pass on his pricing. If you purchase all the material, he has an "out" on warranty as he will claim that's not what he would have done and you insisted on sub-par materials.
Permits may be required for plumbing and electrical.

I had a CAD drawing done of the design I wanted. Lowe's did it for me for a small fee. I took that drawing to a cabinet company and they assisted me in picking out the materials within my budget.

He didn't give me an option not to buy the materials. He hasn't really ever steered me away from getting them myself and actually complimented me on all the research I was doing. I'm still lost!

What do you mean, "pass on his pricing"? So his labor wouldn't be under warranty if I choose materials?

I am going to get with the city tomorrow regarding any permits that might be required.

Latest posts

Back