Ideas for transition

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
I cut my floating floor boards to sit flush and level against the transition piece between my first floor and basement steps. What i'm noticing is that about 3-4 boards are lifted slightly, likely due to the shoe molding exerting pressure on the other end of the boards about 3 feet away.

They say you're not supposed to nail down floating floors so is my only option to lay down another transition piece at the seam in order to keep the floor boards from lifting?

trim.jpg

Cut a slot in the edge of your transition, drill and pin the floor board ends . That should hold the floor down while allowing it to move. A ship lap joint could have been cut before they were laid but to late now.

Raise the shoe moulding a fraction of an inch so it is not resting on the floating floor. did you leave an expansion gap on that side of the floor?

Neal, are you saying to nail thru the floorboard ends into the transition at a steep angle?

trans1.jpg

trans2.jpg

No I said pins in a slot but you could also use a biscuit cutter with out glues
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEhZnFquAV8[/ame]

I like the biscuit idea but there's not enough meat on the tread. Could you please explain the pins in a slot idea?

I left room for expansion but the ends of the floor boards are under the baseboard as well as the molding.

I like the biscuit idea but there's not enough meat on the tread. Could you please explain the pins in a slot idea?

I left room for expansion but the ends of the floor boards are under the baseboard as well as the molding.

If you don't have room for biscuits you won't have room for my pin idea.

I just shake my head at the thresholds they make for thin floors and some people put them on every step of a staircase.

I don't think you have any other choice than a thicker and deeper threshold with a dado in the back to over lap the floor which will give you a tripping hazard and may put the stairs out of code.:confused:

I just made mine from hardwood and made it flush with no overlap. I left a gap about 1/8” and filled it with a matching rubbery caulk.

It's about a 12 foot run so I'll have to make my own threshold out of some 4" wide and less than a half inch thick board. Thanks for the replies and advice!

Would like some opinions on this idea.

Should I go with a 4" - 5" flat piece of trim to cover the seam or would you go with some thing narrower, like 3" or less? The thinnest piece of trim I found was 5/16 thick and 5 1/2" wide.

trans.jpg

I would cover the seam by 1/4" so the wood would be as wide as needed to get what you need for spindles.

If that is vinyl, that is what I would use there is an aluminum strip that goes on the sub floor under the nose so you would have to dado the nose a little.

Latest posts

Back