furnace wont come on

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyskull

Reaction score
i have an older kenmore furnace that wont turn on with thermostst set to heat and manual or auto fan .went down to furnace its getting power.but when i push in relay it turns on heats and blower comes on .if i let go of relay button it turns off.could it be faulty relay?

It could be a faulty relay or the relay isn’t getting enough power to make it come on. Do you have a volt meter?

Last edited:
yes i tested it seems to be getting voltage mwhat should it read

Is this an electric furnace?
Post pics of internals.
Bud has identified the problem but we have to find out why.

yes i tested it seems to be getting voltage mwhat should it read

It should be reading the same voltage as what is at the T-stat and the transformer feeding it. If you manually trip the relay and it heats and you are getting power to the leads of the relay, it sure sounds like a bad relay. If you have a way energize the relay with the right voltage and it doesn’t move I would assume that was the problem. Something like pulling it of and trying to jump it direct to the transformer assuming it is a low voltage relay. If you know where the power source is “transformer” it should be marked what voltage it outputs.

As kok328 stated the more information a new poster can supply up front the quicker they can get help with the problem. Kenmore furnace covers a lot of ground.

Latest posts

Back