Nails pulling out of drywall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korruptor

Reaction score
Hey guys, First post here. I was referred by another member. My girlfirned bought a new house in Gatineau, Quebec, Canada and I'm fixing the builders screw ups, and building new things and stuff (It's nice to have a basement!).

The house is about 8 months old and just went through its first winter. I'm going to paint this weekend but a couple nails are coming out of the drywall so I want to fix that first.

Should I remove the nails carefully and put a drywall screw in its place? The nails haven't broken through the current paint yet but I can see the heads of the nails bulging under the paint.

Yes, replace the nails with screws. I didn't know anyone was still using nails in drywall; just a little vibration will push them back out. Screws are the only way to go when fastening drywall (gypsum wallboard).
Glenn

The builder is selling their houses cheaper than anyone in the region (that I'm aware of) so I guess if there's a way for them to save some money they do it... Assuming nails cost less.

thanks for the reply!

Mark

Yeah, they are cheaper and I'll bet they are not even serated nails (just have a smooth finish).
Glenn

Just to add a little info here, Use a nail set and set the nail pops in and then put a screw in about 1 inch away.

Latest posts

Back