Stretched screw holes in aluminum patio frame

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennisrl

Reaction score
My screen frame where the door closed attached to the frame.

During the last hurricane it rocked back and forth and stretched the screw holes.

I tried filling it with the steel JB weld but the aluminum is bent up and I don't think will take.

I'm going to try it anyway but think at best it will very very temporarily fix it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

20170130_220339.jpg

20170130_220350.jpg

20170130_220326.jpg

Just go up one size screw, if you have 1/4" go to 5/16 or 3/8" Or drill right thru and use a nut and bolt.

And :welcome: to the site.

I definitely don't want to drill through it just yet. As an absolute last resort maybe. Otherwise it will bother my ADHD.

My first though it bigger screws. I'm going to try that when I buy a new door closer.

The frame itself is bent up as well. Any idea on how to flatten that out? It's both pulled out and indented. I'm hoping and thinking a new door closer will hide most if it.

I definitely don't want to drill through it just yet. As an absolute last resort maybe. Otherwise it will bother my ADHD.

My first though it bigger screws. I'm going to try that when I buy a new door closer.

The frame itself is bent up as well. Any idea on how to flatten that out? It's both pulled out and indented. I'm hoping and thinking a new door closer will hide most if it.

The new closer will come with that end piece but you may have to drill it out to take the bigger screws.
Can you post a picture of the door where it wants to be straightened.
I guess you did, that piece should be replaced.

Last edited:
Your JB Weld job is giving me ADHD.

I would just pick a new location to mount it a half inch over drill some pilot holes and screw it on.

A block of wood and a hammer will straighten that mount up. And if you have a driver for your drill that size those screws are self drilling and tapping.

The repair job was really only meant to be one coat. That crap was thicker than I expected and extremely hard to manipulate into the holes.

Old dog I don't know how many times I've forgotten or can't find something and I have and go out and buy it.
Old age is B.
Hammer down the bumps and run a screw into the indents and pull on the screw. Kind of like pulling a dent out of you car.

LOL....I am not going to do it.
I have been looking at the title for 2 weeks, I am getting week.

Back