Bird feeders/houses

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I would like to attract birds to my home.

I do not want to just go buy a feeder or box as they are usually for a very select type of bird. Also, I would like to build a bat box. Bats eat the mosquitoes we are famous for.

Anyone know of online resources for this? I live in Northern Ontario, Canada.

We feed the birds all winter with both a regular old feeder and a suet feeder. A neighbor has a dozen bat boxes he built not much to them. Another two things we do is we have several bird houses and we have a patch of milkweed we grow for the butterflies.

Bird feeders you have to think of what type birds you want to attract and if you have squirrels or chipmunks around are our biggest problem our neighbor has a bear that likes to knock his over.

We don’t feed them all summer but we do feed the hummers over the summer.

Lots of plans on line when you get one built show us what you came up with.

I know you said you would like to build your own feeders and houses, but I would like to suggest that you get just one of the $2 feeders that Walmart sells. They come with a suction cup that sticks to the outside of your window and it brings the birds in for great viewing. Ours is attached to the kitchen window right next to the table, and we usually eat breakfast while watching the birds eat theirs.
PS. we replaced the suction cup with a flat hook that slips between the storm windows. It is more reliable.

I know you said you would like to build your own feeders and houses, but I would like to suggest that you get just one of the $2 feeders that Walmart sells. They come with a suction cup that sticks to the outside of your window and it brings the birds in for great viewing. Ours is attached to the kitchen window right next to the table, and we usually eat breakfast while watching the birds eat theirs.
PS. we replaced the suction cup with a flat hook that slips between the storm windows. It is more reliable.

Actually had one of those on my window when I moved in here. Left it the whole summer and not a single bird used it.

During the summer months food sources that they prefer are available, after the preferred food sources are depleted in the winter months you will see more activity. I had a feeder with some thistle left fro last year that had hardened and the birds wouldn't touch it, I cleaned the feeder and put in fresh and they eat us out of house and home, wish I could claim them on my income tax...

Hmmm, we've had a regular parade. Chickadees, titmice, cardinals, goldfinches & nuthatches are the frequent ones. Got a crossbill once and an oriole once. You might need to try different seed.

Haven't gotten around to the feeder yet, but I did build a birdhouse last summer. Maybe a feeder this summer?

bird house 4.jpg

No, I think I had it done too late in the season. Had a few doves try, but they didn't meet the size requirement.

Latest posts

Back