Fixing lights and repairing an outlet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
The bathroom lights are not working in a mobile home. The bulbs are fine. I don't know exactly which breaker controls it, but I turned all of them off, then back on.

There is a switch in the room that controls it. I don't know how to test this switch.

Similar problem with electrical outlet in other room. Perhaps it is an old style outlet, but I can't figure out how to disconnect the wires.

IMG_20170228_133310188.jpg

IMG_20170228_134110074.jpg

IMG_20170228_135356466.jpg

It should open from the back somehow but if you have enough cable length you could just cut it off and install new.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNfCug586aQ[/ame]

dumb question but, did the outlet only work with the light switch on?
is the outlet on the opposite side of the wall with the light fixture?
are there any GFCI outlets that are not working or need to be reset?
are you getting power to the light switch?

dumb question but, did the outlet only work with the light switch on?
is the outlet on the opposite side of the wall with the light fixture?
are there any GFCI outlets that are not working or need to be reset?
are you getting power to the light switch?

That might have been it, but it's too late now, I already cut the wires. I'm going to a mobile home supply store to get a new outlet tomorrow.

It should open from the back somehow but if you have enough cable length you could just cut it off and install new.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNfCug586aQ

Those are not exactly what mine looked like, but you're saying I should replace them with more traditional equipment that is sold at Home Depot? I was looking for replacements that looked identical to what I removed.

Those are not exactly what mine looked like, but you're saying I should replace them with more traditional equipment that is sold at Home Depot? I was looking for replacements that looked identical to what I removed.

You can get ones that look just like what you have but more regular stuff and likely cheaper than mobile stuff.

You can get ones that look just like what you have but more regular stuff and likely cheaper than mobile stuff.

Okay I'll just go to Home Depot then.

I have a switch and an outlet. Each have two sheathings that contain a black, white, and ground.

Is this correct? Blacks go to separate brass/copper terminals, grounds get twined and attached to the green ground nut, the two white wires go to separate silver terminals?

Okay I'll just go to Home Depot then.

I have a switch and an outlet. Each have two sheathings that contain a black, white, and ground.

Is this correct? Blacks go to separate brass/copper terminals, grounds get twined and attached to the green ground nut, the two white wires go to separate silver terminals?

That works for the outlet.
In the switch box, the two whites are nutted together and the two blacks go the the screws.

When you buy boxes, ask for old box, they fit in the hole and have flaps that swing out behind the drywall.

That works for the outlet.
In the switch box, the two whites are nutted together and the two blacks go the the screws.

When you buy boxes, ask for old box, they fit in the hole and have flaps that swing out behind the drywall.

In the switch, the two whites are nutted together and attached to nothing?

There are a bunch of ways you might find them wired but yours looks like the most common. Hope this helps.

light and switch.jpg

There are a bunch of ways you might find them wired but yours looks like the most common. Hope this helps.

Now I get it.

This is making me think that the other is controlled by a switch since it has two sets of three wires in the box.

Now I get it.

This is making me think that the other is controlled by a switch since it has two sets of three wires in the box.

Three wire can mean a few things, some times it is just a cheaper way to move two circuit thru a house and they both use the same white. You want to figure out how to get into the old outlet and see how it was wired.

Three wire can mean a few things, some times it is just a cheaper way to move two circuit thru a house and they both use the same white. You want to figure out how to get into the old outlet and see how it was wired.

I already cut the wires.

Back