Levelling basement Fllor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemkonan

Reaction score
This might be much about nothing but 15 years ago I strapped my basement floor and lost probably 2 inches in the process. Now after a bathroom leak, I am at it again but no strapping for me. I want to know how to use a string or a straight edge to check the floor width to width along the entire length so that I can find and mark high or low spots.

The plan is to put down DMX Airflow, put OSB over that then select by room laminate or tiles.

If I have to put down floor leveller should I grind the floor first to remove any mould related to the water?

Thanks

If there a youtube video that shows that? Seeing makes it easier to understand. For DMX airflow tile is no problem because OSB is going over the underlay.

So you are setting OSB on foam and think that won't move?

Pay attention to the red unit.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUhIeGO7dao[/ame]

I think I'd be happier with a six foot level that I can push around to various spots on the floor. The laser will be above the floor and it will be up to you to guess where to use a tape measure, which may lead to ignoring / missing a few shallow dips & swells.

Get on your hands and knees and look down the laser projection to identify highs and lows.

I have to agree with Neal on questioning the DMX Airflow. It looks like a good product, but I doubt it is stiff enough for a ceramic tile installation. Usually a manufacturer is the first to make claims and overstate what their product can do, but nowhere on their website is a mention of tile. All the flooring they do mention can flex a little, but tile adhesive will crack or let loose with just a little deflection. Have you looked at the Schluter products?

Back