Bathroom Exterior Wall help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biddlecom

Reaction score
I have a small 10’x6’ bathroom and am completely gutting and redoing it. I have a question about the exterior and kitchen wall (the red lines in the picture). Do I put sheetrock on the tub wall, backer board, plastic anything? The exterior wall should I just put insulation or plastic as well. My bathroom will not have a vent but does have a window. I live in Maine and my exterior walls are set up from outside to inside – vinyl siding, plastic, foam board, diagonal boards to studs, roxal batt insulation, (no plastic) then sheetrock.

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Up here it would be insulation, vapour barrier tub on exterior wall.
If it is just a tub, drywall to the lip and one row of tile over the lip.
If tiling a shower above the tub, backer board fill with thin set, redgard sealer and tile.

It depends on a number of things.

1) Is it just a tub or a tub/shower
2) Are you going to tile?

Personally I would do cement board on both the kitchen and exterior wall (and the wall between the tub and sink), with either a plastic vapor barrier between the studs and the board or better yet a memebrane (redguard) over the cement board around the tub (but don't do both the plastic and the membrane). I would then tile where I want tile and do a skim coat with mud where you are going to paint. Then green board on the bedroom wall.

Latest posts

Back