Wire for 30amp circuit / trailer connection.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
I have added many circuits to my camp in the past and feel very comfortable running wires and adding circuits, but seeking some advice.

We have added a camper next to our cabin to act as a guest house for busy weekends. (It was cheaper than adding on a room.) It takes a 30 amp circuit and I need to run the wiring under the cabin about 20 feet to a disconnect for the trailer. Question, what type of wire should I use? Any recommendations? It will not be in ground contact, but will be run on the underside of the cabin along the joists.

Thanks.

To make it safe for critters that like the chew things, I would run a conduit.
Just like this. Because it is 30 amps I would protect it more than normal
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_A3A15FvIs[/ame]

I too would run conduit. 3/4" PVC and #10 THWN copper. Might be able to get away with 1/2" too if it will be such a short run, but I would definitely go with PVC for moisture reasons.

The most versatile method is to use an extension cord, keeping in mind that the run will derate at 100'.

Since you say, camper, which implies mobility, a cord allows for removal, in that event.

However if it is intended to be permanent, then the run outside of the dwelling should be correctly buried, as well as terminated.

I'm a bit late but FWIW the camper was designed to use a pigtail plug and receptacle so that's what I'd do. If you vary from that intended design and someone gets hurt, then insurance may not cover it.

Phil

Thanks guys. I'm using the pigtail the camper came with and I added a disconnect box with a camper plug on the back of my cabin. Ran 10-2 wire (outdoor cable) in 1" conduit underneath the cabin from the breaker panel to the outdoor box. I believe I could have just staples the wire to the bottom of the joists under the cabin, but it looks nice in the conduit.

Back