DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Oil in sump pump motor?

Old 05-19-2007, 02:13 PM  
mechanicalmonster

Default Oil in sump pump motor?

I took my sump pump apart due to it being totally clogged. I discovered the hard way these things have some type of lubricant or coolant inside the motor when I spilled it. Does anyone know what this stuff is and where I can purchase it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mechanicalmonster; 05-19-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2007, 10:13 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Ask a supplier who handles airconditioning and refrigeration compressors and parts. They will have compressor oil, which is pure mineral oil. Don't use too much though the motor windings are supposed to remain above the oil. That is why most folks believe you can't haul a refrigerator on its side.
BTW, next time you want to unclog a sump pump, start on the other end (the bottom) where the pumping takes place. I'll bet you know that by now; sorry we didn't get to talk before.
Glenn

Last edited by glennjanie; 05-19-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:22 AM  
asbestos
Good with caulk

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I worked construction we would have pumps that would run dry and then this oil would leak out. You may be hard pressed to get it back in and sealed well enough so it does not leak

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="3"][B]Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 05-21-2007, 10:17 AM  
mechanicalmonster

Thanks for the replies. I would have loved to have worked on just the other end but the three bolts that hold the other end on hold everything together. Ofcourse even after getting the other end off it would not come further apart. Atleast I did not have to support the weight of the whole pump with one hand while clearing it with other. I got it running again. I did not use the proper fluid though. I tested some atf to make sure it was not conductive. It was not conductive so I threw it in there. It seems to be running very cool and pumps better than it ever has. I knew the atf was a gamble but I do not have any money tied in the pump and I do not use it for critical purposes anyway. Even if the pump goes tomorrow due to the wrong fluid I will just chalk it up as a cheap lesson learned.

Last edited by mechanicalmonster; 05-21-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:08 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Congratulations! I admire your tenacity and fortitude on a job well done.
Glenn

Old 05-23-2007, 04:17 PM  
mechanicalmonster

Thanks glennjanie I will get the compressor oil later. I just had the thing together before anyone replied. I sorta doubted anyone would know what those things came with so I tried what I had laying around. Its not critical as I said but may as well get the right stuff. All I do with this thing is empty a wading pool my ducks use that way I don't keep the animal pen waterlogged when I change water. My shopvac would be much more efficient.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 AM  
millman100

Default Sump pum oil

I had the same experience with dissasembling my pump. All the oil leaked out. The pump manual calls it "dielectric" oil but does not list it on the parts avalible list. When I called them , they said compressor oil would work. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:41 PM  
davegws

I have run into the same problem. It is hard to believe the manufacturer does not supply this type of oil so we can access it through their parts list. I have tried air conditioning people and all they have is injection material. They do not sell it in liquid form. I am going with the atf also. Wish there were other alternatives. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 PM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Most "Sump" pumps weren't meant to be repaired. Use them once and throw them out. But if you can't find the oil. Most motor rewind shops have drums of it.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 AM  
pjsssss

I just had a similar issue with a Little Giant 5-MSO 505025 which runs on 110volt. It kept tripping the breaker so I took it apart thinking there was a mix of water and oil and dumped it out. It ran for a bit and then I realized there was oil inside. I filled with 12 ounces of Vegetable Oil and it's running perfect. I may add a little more in. I could have purchased a pint of mineral oil but didn't want to make the hour drive to get it. I was told 1 pint would have been slightly too much. Pump is working fine but I did use a marine sealant when putting back together just to avoid water leaking in again.

I was initially told by Little Giant that it's no good and I need to buy a new one. You can imagine what my thoughts were to them...

Quick Reply