Problem with retrofit recessed lights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drabina

Reaction score
I have older (late 80s?) recessed lights in the kitchen with the regular bulb and snap on trim. I would like to replace those with LED retrofit lights but it looks like all available sets are not wide enough to cover the "lip" of the casing. It looks bad to have one ring on top of another with the casing sticking out. Isn't there a way to cover those? I literally tried all available lights in Home Depot and Lowes. None of them have diameter that will cover old casings.

light.jpg

I changed mine to LED and the lamps / bulbs I found were the exact same size as the old ones. I don’t know what I bought right now but it was a LED flood light.

You may just want to go with a replacement LED flood like Bud did. That is what I did in my bonus room lights. The LED bulbs are cheaper than the retrofits if you already have the trim rings.

You may just want to go with a replacement LED flood like Bud did. That is what I did in my bonus room lights. The LED bulbs are cheaper than the retrofits if you already have the trim rings.

The problem is that my wife does not want the trim rings and bulbs. She wants all in one LED lights that will sit flush with the ceiling.

The outer diameter of the can's lip is 7.5". The inside opening is 6 3/8". Last photo shows Phillips retrofit LED insert installed. You can see that the lip of the case is sticking out.

20170420_195811.jpg

20170420_195829.jpg

20170420_200211.jpg

Those look good but at $50 a bit steep as I need 10 of those. Will keep looking thru this site. Maybe I am going to find cheaper ones with bigger diameter.

Remove old replace 12" sq of drywall cut new holes to fit new lights.
To fix 10 lights like that with no access from the attic would probably cost a lot more than getting a replacement inserts for $50. I am also not up to the task to deal with sheetrock, spackling, painting and electrical work.

To fix 10 lights like that with no access from the attic would probably cost a lot more than getting a replacement inserts for $50. I am also not up to the task to deal with sheetrock, spackling, painting and electrical work.

Repairs are made from the finished side, 1 sheet of drywall 1 bucket of filler and a roll of of tape. $50 dollars and a learning curve.:)

Repairs are made from the finished side, 1 sheet of drywall 1 bucket of filler and a roll of of tape. $50 dollars and a learning curve.:)

Considering my spackling skills (or lack of them) I would be better off just keeping the old insert trims that my wife hates. :)

Those look good but at $50 a bit steep as I need 10 of those. Will keep looking thru this site. Maybe I am going to find cheaper ones with bigger diameter.

Yep, it's the gimbal configuration that adds to the costs, and unfortunately, most of the other trims and complete replacement fixtures measure 7.5".

I have older (late 80s?) recessed lights in the kitchen with the regular bulb and snap on trim. I would like to replace those with LED retrofit lights but it looks like all available sets are not wide enough to cover the "lip" of the casing. It looks bad to have one ring on top of another with the casing sticking out. Isn't there a way to cover those? I literally tried all available lights in Home Depot and Lowes. None of them have diameter that will cover old casings.

try Covalin LED retrofit they have 4"and 6"diameter

Back