bath sink water supply valves leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analogmusicman

Reaction score
both sink water supply valves leak. I was thinking of replacing both but they're both compression type (they have brass rings that fit over the end of the 1/2 in. tubing and then a nut tightens against the valve body and compresses everything) I've tried in the past to remove that brass ring so I could put on the new one but those things are on there for good:mad: is it ok to just replace the valve using the old ring?

tnx

Leave the ring and nut- they can be re-used till no amount of tightening stops a leak (usually like 3+ times). Another trick which often works it to leave the valve body and just replace the 'guts' of the valve with identical parts from a new valve. Something else which often helps with multi-turn valves is to open them fully, close them about 1/8 turn, then tighten the packing nut under the handle a little. Sometimes the stem prevents the packing from being tight when the valve is fully open so this gives it a little room to happen.

Phil

Latest posts

Back