Fallen down fence and ugly yard

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tashenka585

Reaction score
Hello, a couple quick things about me since this is my first real post...I own a double wide and I am looking to fix it up so that I can sell it. I have a limited funds, not real budget to speak of but just trying to take one thing at a time for now.

Anyway let me just say my back yard, though small, is quite ugly. The two things I am concerned with at the moment is the fence that fell down and the fact that half the grass seems to have died in large patches all over. I am in the process of seeing what owners of the lot I rent can do regarding the fence. There was a chain link fence then a rough wooden one in front. Behind my house is a steep drop off and a gravel pit. The chain link fence seems to surround the entire park on that side, the wood one seems to be added. I want to remove that part completely and fix the chain fence. I have no idea about what to do about the ugly yard. I had a big dog that passed away this past year and I was told that his urine probably did the trick. It is uneven, bare, has a lot of weeds and roots poking up. Access to the septic tank is also in my yard... great right

I'm looking for simple solutions. I am just trying not to take a bath when I sell. I know that mobile homes depreciate in value the older they are so If I can get out without owning any money on the mortgage or the home-improvement loan I got a few years ago to replace the windows I will feel more then blessed. Sorry this is a lot of info.

Here are some photos of what I am looking at.... also that adorable pup in the photo is Penny.

20170421_151553.jpg

20170421_151612 - Copy.jpg

Copy of 20170421_151616.jpg

Check to see who has responsibility for the fence. Since you don't own the property, the landlord may be responsible. Whether you can get him (her) to fix it, is another question.
You could probably string a sturdy wire from post to post and hang the fence on that if you have to, but a proper fix would require setting some new posts.

My guess is that whoever owns the gravel pit will be responsible for the upkeep of the chain link fence. In most places this is a tightly regulated thing with severe penalties if someone gets harmed so they will likely fix it PDQ if you let them know it is unsafe. I'm not much on lawns but the local lawn and garden center will have good answers for you with that problem.

Personally I don't like seeing the drop behind the chain-link fence and if I could find a way to hide it I would. Maybe you can scrounge some used materials for that, but if not it might be worth spending a little on.

Phil

Back