Please help me diagnose this!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiderherky

Reaction score
We are house hunting. Saw these funny streak marks on the foundation of a house we liked. Any idea where they're coming from and if they're a serious issue? Thanks in advance!

IMG_1170.JPG

Vinyl siding is not water proof, the paper or wrap behind it is what actually stops the water from getting in the house.So water that does get behind the siding can take some time to find it's way out. So this doesn't mean bad news but bad news may look the same.:confused:

On the outside - vinyl siding. This is a ranch house with basement.

Behind the wall? I think finished basement on the lower level (open area in basement), garage on the upper level. The garage in in the front of the house, it opens into a mudroom/laundry room, which opens into the kitchen that runs to the rear of the house.

Would be interesting to see how the roof ties in above that area.
What I'm thinking is it's possible there's an issue that's causing the run off on the roof is getting in under the soffit and running down the back side of the siding.
Shingles not overhanging the roof enough, gutters backing up or pulled away from the facia, no drip edge or missing starter strip, all things to look for.

Back