Basement Repair Question.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
Greetings guys. I'm looking at getting back into the house flip or rental game and ran across an interesting option. It's a larger house with four bedrooms and an unfinished block basement. It needs a lot of work, but the price is right.

Apparently at some point in its life, I'm guessing that the basement walls started to push in, so someone repaired this issue by pouring a new inside wall with concrete, which is approximately one foot thick, around the inside of the entire basement. While it looks like it fixed the issue and has been there for a while, it's the first time I've seen this type of repair. (It is a lot of concrete.) Is this a valid way to repair the basement wall issue? Will it last? The basement appears dry and the structure seems sound. Just curious overall. A couple photos attached.

Thanks.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1493089354.524895.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1493089371.979797.jpg

I've owned two other houses in the same area with concrete block basement walls and they have had some type of failure due to hydrostatic pressure. I've never seen this type of fix, where so much concrete was used to reinforce the inside walls. Just wondering if this is a valid way to repair.

One neighbor said they thought this house was moved to this location at some point. (It was in the way of a road project.) Wonder if that could be why the foundation for the basement is so odd.

Last edited:
The thickness of it sounds more like a retaining wall and then it would have a footing like 10" deep and 4 or 5 ft wide below the floor..

Back