Honeywell security camera log in no longer supported

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edlank

Reaction score
I have a Honeywell H3D3PRV3 IP camera outside. It is wired, and supposed to be ONVIF compliant. It is used only to monitor the status of my driveway just outside my garage, which is a blind side of my house with the doors closed. I do not have any recorder, nor felt the need for one. It has worked well. I could keep an active web page up using FireFox to monitor the camera. FireFox has now improved their security settings, and no longer consider ActiveX controls secure. I can access the camera from the set up application, and monitor the camera with it (in a small window), but now neither browser (IE, FireFox, or Chrome) works with the camera. I logged onto the Honeywell site for a software download hoping for software that would use some other method for logging in, but there is none. Honeywell won't talk to me unless I am a distributor. Are there any suggestions?

I have a Honeywell H3D3PRV3 IP camera outside. It is wired, and supposed to be ONVIF compliant. It is used only to monitor the status of my driveway just outside my garage, which is a blind side of my house with the doors closed. I do not have any recorder, nor felt the need for one. It has worked well. I could keep an active web page up using FireFox to monitor the camera. FireFox has now improved their security settings, and no longer consider ActiveX controls secure. I can access thection camera from the set up application, and monitor the camera with it (in a small window), but now neither browser (IE, FireFox, or Chrome) works with the camera. I logged onto the Honeywell site for a software download hoping for software that would use some other method for logging in, but there is none. Honeywell won't talk to me unless I am a distributor. Are there any suggestions?

The stand alone cameera probably need an ActiveX plug-in in order to operate. ActiveX is Microsoft technology used to add features/functionalities, always better to use IE with ActiveX dependent stuff since it is built-in IE.

To install ActiveX plug-in on Firefox you may following these instructions (not sure how up to date the instructions below are, I simply copied them below):

Instructions:

1.Launch the Firefox,Download the Mozilla Firefox connectors that will communicate to your Firefox(for more information see the resources). Click the option “Allow” for the message that appears on the screen saying that “Firefox prevented this website…” and then click on the “Install Now” option.

2.Now select “Tools” from Menu bar and then choose “Add-ons” from the list.

3.Click on the “Plugins” button and search the ActiveX plugins from the list.

4.Select the ActiveX plugin from the plugin list and then click “Enable”.Relaunch the Mozilla Firefox.

Apparently NPAPI is has some security issues. Most of the browsers have stopped suporting it.
Firefox decided beginning with Firefox version 52, not to support all NPAPI plugins except for Adobe Flash.

You could go back to a version of FF before 52.

Last edited:
There was a notice on the FireFox web site about an interim solution for those sites that their update broke. I applied that FireFox add-in, and it did not help. With Chrome and IE, I have since I bought the camera seen the camera log in screen, where I am told to download a plug-in, but I always get the same notice after the installation when I try to access the camera again. With the updated FireFox, I cannot even see the log in screen for the camera any more. I just see the blue web page background. I tried to change the security settings in IE as I have seen for ActiveX, and it made no difference.

If there is a better chat room for this topic elsewhere, I would appreciate being told where. I had seen them before I bought camera this last fall, but my searches now find only corporate sites.

NealTW, that was a good suggestion. On CCTVForum, I got my solution. I added the extension for Chrome "IE Tab" and using Chrome with that extension, it works again. It made no sense, since neither IE Explorer nor Chrome had worked, but nevertheless, with this, it does.

Back