Basement Ceiling Metall Enclosure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk3000

Reaction score
Hello Folks,
The house has a partial basement with a low ceiling clearance, and on top of that there is some metal "enclosure" covering part of ceiling as shown below (arrow pointing to it):

34053971951_9880bf4590_h.jpg

34053971961_3d76fc5947_h.jpg

At first it seems related to return aid ducts, but I can not identify anything above it that would suggest so. It is also covered by some white stuff that I assume has asbestos

Part of the problem is that it also seems to cover some pipes (sewer, gas, and water possibly) to which I need to have access to. The area above that looks to coincide with the location covered by this enclosure below also has some pipes protruding from the slab floor that may travel inside this enclosure below, and I need access to these pipes below in order connect a supply line.

34015964815_4da24b1446_h.jpg

During a bygone era this house had water supplied by means of a well instead of city water, so some water fittings and lines may be innactive. But this one above does not seem to be part of this old system, also part of its water line seemed to have had the copper portion clipped (indicating theft).

But the main point is: what is the point of this enclosure and how best approach opening it.

Understood, I was thinking you would use all those precautions to clear an area so you could drill a hole.

Back