Shady acidic soouth facing plants

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I am building a garage. Around it, I plan on planting some plants to make it look better.

One side is south facing, shaded by pine trees.

What can I put there that will grow well?

I live in Northern Ontario, so, it gets pretty cold in the winter and we have a short growing season.

The shade probably makes a bigger difference than the southern facing direction.

Yep, that can be fixed with enough lime, but I'd look for items that can handle shady, acidic soil. I've never lived that far north so not sure what plants work well in your climate. Stuff that worked in my native PA doesn't always work in my current home of NC and vice versa.

Yep, that can be fixed with enough lime, but I'd look for items that can handle shady, acidic soil. I've never lived that far north so not sure what plants work well in your climate. Stuff that worked in my native PA doesn't always work in my current home of NC and vice versa.

So most likely, more evergreens. I would rather not dump a bunch of lime and instead, work with what I have.

I talked to a local garden centre. They have some plants I can use. Once the garage is done, I will get them and then let you guys know what I used.

One plant they first suggested, then suggested against was blueberry bushes. Reason for the change - I have bears here. They love blueberries.

Latest posts

Back