floating neutral in 15amp circ?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokosz

Reaction score
Hi all,

I called Leviton on this (twice)
the last conversation was "You've got a floating neutral".

I'm working on installing a ceiling fan. When I roughed in a wall switch and ceiling box I confirmed there was juice to the ceiling box. That was good: 120 switch on. But 58v or so even when the switch was off.

Leviton assured me that was normal. At the time I was using an illuminated switch.

Now it gets weird. With the ceiling fan wired in and using a plain old toggle switch I get 120v from hot/ground On or Off at the switch.
I get 58v Off hot/load and Zerov On hot/load

Most Outlets on the circuit test "Correct".
There are two outlets down stream from the ceiling fan that show no ground - they're on old BX and I dropped the ball grounding them
when the wall was open. The NM is 12/3 with the red controlling load to the fan, black to the outlets
I'm going to undo the wiring cx in the ceiling fan to see if I messed something up

Is it possible those Bx Ungrounded outlets could cause trouble for a wall switch?

Is "Open Neutral" the same as Floating Neutral?

thanks for any thoughts. Man, I dig the best graves.

When the switch is on 0 is expected as they are one and the same.
Measure from the wire to ground to find around 120 on the power wire.
You may find some reading on the other wire as it will indicate other things using the same neutral.

Latest posts

Back