Florescent light delay

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFBonnett

Retired decorating contractor
Reaction score
In the unfinished shop side of my basement, I have several cheap hanging florescent shop lights. In the winter, they go on immediately. As soon as the weather warms up, about half take several minutes to light up. They light right up if I run my hand along the tubes. Up until last year, they all would light up immediately when switched on. Voltage reads 119.2 at all outlets and there have been no changes to the electrical setup. Any ideas why this delay now?

Sounds like the ballasts are struggling to fire up the lamps. Sad thing is that many times a new fixture is cheaper than a ballast, unless you buy in bulk from a supply house.

Sounds like the ballasts are struggling to fire up the lamps. Sad thing is that many times a new fixture is cheaper than a ballast, unless you buy in bulk from a supply house.

That's my opinion also, as the older fixtures seem to take longest to light. The odd thing is that this started suddenly last Spring and it affected all the fixtures, not just the oldest. I did note that on a cool day and they light immediately, the voltage at the outlets where they plug in is a bit over 120V. On warmer days when they are slow it is just 119.

Last edited:
Back