Bird in the roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I heard some chirping from my front door. I investigated it, and found that there is a hole in the soffet of the porch roof.

I know how to fix the issue. I know that due to the construction of the roof, the birds are not in my house, just the porch roof.

I do not want to kill the birds, just prevent them from nesting there in the future.

How long after not hearing chirping can I go up and block the hole off?

Toss some moth balls up there, most animals don't like the odor and it should keep them from nesting. Its a cheap try.

Once they have flown away, I will spray foam the opening and there will be no way for them to get in.

My question i how do I know that they are gone for good?

Did you hear baby birds chirping? If so and you don't want to disturb the nest, wait til they fly away, shouldn't be more than a couple weeks I think.

Did you hear baby birds chirping? If so and you don't want to disturb the nest, wait til they fly away, shouldn't be more than a couple weeks I think.

If you read my initial post, that is exactly what I am doing. I am asking How Long after I hear no noise is it safe to cover the hole so they don't come back next year.

So,, it is winter. A few days ago, it was a nice day out. The hole is now closed in with some expanding foam. Can I just spray paint the expanding foam?

Latest posts

Back