Chimney Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechi

Reaction score
I have two chimneys with crumbling brick, one needs to be rebuilt from the roof up and the other to be repaired. The guy who came to give a quote said that the chimney which needs to be rebuilt can be rebuilt to 18 inches above the roof which would make it shorter than it is now, it is used by the hot water tank.

For the other chimney the guy said he would bring it down to the solid brick and just concrete and cap it, this chimney is a fireplace chimney that we don't use.

Is it okay to do what the guy suggested? Would it be within regulations? I'm in Ontario, Canada. The house is a backsplit, the chimney used by the hot water tank is located near the middle of the lower roof, the fireplace chimney is located on the upper roof at the back of the house.

I’m having a new room done this week hopefully. I also had a failing chimney and we started playing with the numbers. I started a thread for ideas on what way to go. Investigate changing the water heater out to electric or a direct vent and capping both of them off flush to the roof. It might be less money and you will have a new water heater to boot. In my case I’m taking the old one down below the roof and roofing over it.

I think by code chimneys must be at least two feet higher than anything within ten feet. If your new setup meets that code then you are fine. Note this also includes any neighbouring buildings.

Here is a good example

0951sEs.jpg

Does the code only apply to chimneys that are in use?

I would expect so. If it is not in use then it is not a chimney. If you ever went to use it in the future you would have make adjustments.

For the water tank I would compare the price of repairs to the chimney and the cost of SS liner and lower the chimney below the roof.

Latest posts

Back