Opinions on this sump pump backup system.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogar6

Reaction score
I have a Hydropump 12V backup pump that works real good, the pump sits on the floor with a suck up tube and float that goes into the sump, the discharge Y's into the regular discharge line very little space used. Power failure once for 3 days and the group 27 deep cycle battery was just starting to get low.

It should do fine if it has enough capacity. Sump pumps come in different HP ratings. Just make sure it can handle your pump. 1200 watts is only 66% of a normal 15 amp circuit.

I haven't tried it. It's $600 plus I would still need to buy a battery. Was just wondering if it's worth it or if there are similar but less expensive set ups available?

The inverter pictured is good for 1/2 hp pumps but they have another inverter for larger pumps for about $800. Unfortunately for me, I think I have a 2/3 hp pump meaning I would need the more expensive one:(

Seems quite expensive. I think there are cheaper options.

1500 watts is 12.5 amp, what is the starting load of the pump?

I'd spend my time and money figuring out why water's getting in to where it needs to be pumped out in the first place.
99% of the time it can be dealt with on the outside, not trying to pump it out once it's made it inside.
This one subject has been discussed hundreds of time on this and any DIY site.
Main issues, no gutters, not long enough downspouts away from the foundation.
Mulch piled up against the foundation.
Grade does not run away from the foundation.
No flower beds forming ponds around the foundation.
Outside foundation was never waterproofed before backfilling.
Pictures of the outside would be great.

This is in case the power goes out. The water could probably be controlled better but I live in a condo so I can't do what's necessary to fully control water flow.

I haven't tried it. It's $600 plus I would still need to buy a battery. Was just wondering if it's worth it or if there are similar but less expensive set ups available?
A sump pump came with our house.
One day it rained 4", the next day the sump water finally rose 2". Mostly it's bone dry.
I think now we have never needed a sump & the previous owners were taken in by the sales tactic of Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt (FUD).

How often does your pump run? Do you have a floor drain?
After you get a $16 water level alarm, how much to elevate basement items that would be damaged?

The water in our basement (with a floor drain) would have to be at least 6" high to reach the furnace blower motor and 3" high to screw up the burner on our gas water heater. I guess I've chosen to roll the dice but we do now have a 120vac, 1/6 hp HD utility pump in the hole.
If a flood and power failure and sump overflow occur at the same time, I'll be bailing. Maybe I can do a half gallon per minute for a few hours. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back