Tiny junction boxes for alarm wiring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D725A

Reaction score
Just had my attic spray foamed. The cellular alarm communicator had been attached near the peak; prior to foaming I attached a small collar tie near the peak to re-attach it later, but underestimated the amount of spray foam, which now covers it. Rather than chopping into that and losing some insulating power, I'm thinking of attaching the unit to a longer collar tie about a foot or so below. But the existing wires won't reach. (4 conductor, probably 18 or 22 gauge.) To avoid having to attach a junction box somewhere to splice in the extra needed wire, I'm looking to connect the existing wires to a 'floating' box that can hang or be taped onto the hardened foam, then run the extended wires down to the collar tie. Do they sell very small boxes likes this?

Install your new tie and then a 2x4 from the ceiling joist past the new tie to pick up the new junction box.

Your local hdw. and/or big box will have multi conductor 18ga. or thermostat wire as well as the orange LV "J" boxes.

Thanks for the replies. Attached is a photo which may make it clearer. I could easily chop out the smaller, now invisible tie above but after this nice new foam job I am loathe to do that. See my plan. the Box could be taped or caulked into place.

IMG_1983ed.jpg

Back