Water Filtration Systems

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdpay123

Reaction score
I have not put salt in my softener in about 6 months. Does it need to be replaced now.

You should be able to see salt visible in the salt tank....which might be a separate tank or be just below the softener. If there is no salt - or very little - then it is time to add salt. Unless you have a large brine tank (salt tank) six months sounds like it may have been too long.

You should be able to see salt visible in the salt tank....which might be a separate tank or be just below the softener. If there is no salt - or very little - then it is time to add salt. Unless you have a large brine tank (salt tank) six months sounds like it may have been too long.
It was just a few pellets in the bottom. I put salt in it. How will I know if everything is ok. I am a salt water filtration system dummy.

First, the system has to run through a regeneration ( the salt needs to run through a cycle). You can usually start the regeneration manually. Once that has happened, you should be able to feel a difference in the water you use. Most often, the easiest way to tell is that the soap seems to become slippery on your skin.

First, the system has to run through a regeneration ( the salt needs to run through a cycle). You can usually start the regeneration manually. Once that has happened, you should be able to feel a difference in the water you use. Most often, the easiest way to tell is that the soap seems to become slippery on your skin.
It appears to be working. Thank you

Latest posts

Back