Clear coat for latex paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tellebot

Reaction score
I impulsively painted a herringbone pattern on doors that will be hung in a basement living room/no conforming guest room. I used paint leftover from a dozen different projects around the house, different brands, colors, finishes, etc. They are all interior latex paint (the SW ProClassic is acrylic latex?). I'd like to put a clear glossy topcoat to protect it and also to unify the different finishes and sheens. Is there a recommended product for this? I have spray cans of clear glossy spray that I've used in craft projects with acrylic paints, but I wasn't sure what to use with latex paint. Bonus points if it's something that dries super quickly, because I would really like to get these doors hung before my mother comes to visit on Tuesday!

or this
BENWOOD® STAYS CLEAR®
ACRYLIC POLYURETHANE
FLAT N425

With building a lot of DIY projection screens over the years one of the common ingredients in screen paint is clear water based poly. It can be mixed into paint or it can be applied over paint. When mixing it in it acts as a leveler and drying time extender and also raised the sheen level. Poly comes in different sheen levels and it is very important you stir it and not shake. It is also important keep stirring it each time you use it even though it looks mixed as the sheen adjusting additives don’t stay in suspension well. You will get a satin sheen and if it is not mixed it will be a gloss.

I’m also wondering how it came out.

Latest posts

Back