Spalling block foundation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ltdanp21

Reaction score
I have some spalling on my block foundation. Most of the blocks have about a half inch of spalling but one near the gutter has 2 3" diameter holes. See picture. Is this something I can just parge over or do I need to do more to bolster the structural integrity of the crumbling block?

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

Welcome to the site.
I think you should dig out a bit and make sure you see the extent of the damage and solve whatever water problem you have as it is likely water absorbed in the block and freezing that is causing the problem.

Only time I've seen that bad a damage is where water was allowed to run down the wall from a missing or to short a downspout, or if it was the old style real "Cinder Blocks".
There is no filler or cover up going to add the original strength back to those blocks.
They need to be removed and replace, anything below grade should have been waterproofed or water can wick up the wall and freeze as mentioned.

The house was built in 1931 so could be real cinder blocks. That block is also right in front of a gutter.

Can a do it yourself we remove and replace the block?

How do I know if below grade blocks were waterproofed?

The house was built in 1931 so could be real cinder blocks. That block is also right in front of a gutter.

Can a do it yourself we remove and replace the block?

How do I know if below grade blocks were waterproofed?

You are going to move the downspout and dig down to inspect the block s for two rows below that and on each side of that one.

Water proofing is black sealer on the outside of the block.

If it is or was there you will see it.
Water proofing would be separate issue to talk about if you are having problems with water under the house but downspout correction may also solve that.

First thing is to find out just how bad the damage is.

Back