Separating 2 A/C Units

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewRehabber

Reaction score
The previous residents of our new home doubled up the A/C units. They wanted the house really cold so they put in a second unit that runs together with the first. Our house is 5,000 square feet across 1 main floor and a finished basement. Eventually we'd like to separate the two units, but for now we mainly want to reduce our energy costs and only run the A/C upstairs on the main floor. Is this easy to do? What should we plan on doing, etc? And if we wanted to go the route of separating the units between floors is that costly?

Really need someone on site to look it over and see what they did and how the lines where ran.
No way to know what it would cost over the net.

Are there two units sharing the same duct work? Around here it is common in houses above 2200 square feet or so to have two AC units. But they are generally set up one for each floor. A 5000 square foot single story house is extremely rare, or do you mean 2500 first floor and 2500 finished basement? I have ~2500 square feet between my first and second floor. I have a unit in my attic for the second floor and one in the unfinished basement for the first floor.

Do you know the age of the units? If they are 10 years plus you'll be better off waiting until you need to replace the units in the next 5-10 years and going for a more efficient two stage high SEER system.

Latest posts

Back