Best material for filling gaps and cracks in siding?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

I bought a rental and the siding needs paint badly. I would really like to reside the place but don't really have the extra cash to do so. The siding is still in fixable condition but there is a lot of small gaps and a few larger spots. Interior I have always used painters caulk and vinyl spackling. Is that what I should use or is there something better?

Ive always used polyseamseal, instead of painters caulk, because it remains flexible, is adhesive, is paintable and does not harden.

That polyseamseal seems pricy for how much I will need. I want to put a bead between each overlap of the siding. So 100 foot long bead to go around the house every four inches in height. Will probably take 100 tubes. Is it normally close to 10 bucks a tube? If it works that much better than painters caulk might be worth it.

The bondo is a good idea for the larger holes.

Post a picture of what you have going on.
I could see filling a few cracks in the wood, but lap siding is never sealed at the overlap.
If there's a gap at the overlap just add some Stainless steel siding nails to close it up.

I've never found it anywhere near the price you have, but more in line with these;https://www.google.com/search?clien...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=polyseamseal+caulk&tbm=shop

Your google likes you better than mine. I just did a quick search last night and it was showing around 10 bucks but yours shows different, I will go by the store and see in person.

Post a picture of what you have going on.
I could see filling a few cracks in the wood, but lap siding is never sealed at the overlap.
If there's a gap at the overlap just add some Stainless steel siding nails to close it up.

I will get a few picks when I get over there again, it might be a day or two. This house was built in 1908, I don't think the siding is original but it is definitely old. It has shrunk and moved a bit. I was only thinking of sealing it all up because the paint job would look much better. Function I am sure it is fine leaving it the way it is.

Thanks, that's what I thought but how is sealing any different than using a solid siding like T1-11 Or stucco?

What about stucco? I don't remember any gaps at all in my stucco homes.

Makes sense but my last two houses did not have that flashing at the bottom. Maybe it was done a different way? Maybe I just got lucky it didn't rain in california? My house now is stucco and siding, I will take a look at how they are done.

Back