Loose subfloof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_walker

Reaction score
3/4" plywood was nailed down on top of the old carpet in the mobile home. My mom is elderly and keeps falling because the walkway into the living room isn't nailed down into anything. Theres nothing to nail it into there. The plywood keeps popping up when you walk over it and there's a gap there between the pieces. Any suggestions? We were told if we tried to put anything over it like a rug it wouldn't help?

Little confusing.
A little more info may help.
Why is there plywood over the carpet in the first place?
(just a guess, under the carpet the subfloor was failing so they where trying to keep from falling through the floor.)
Why not just remove the plywood and fix the real issues under it?

Exactly the subfloor under the carpet had dissenegrated. The mobile home is 1985. They thought it would be easier to lay the new plywood directly on top of the carpet . We wanted them to pull up the carpet first but they didn't want too. Family members did it for us so we couldn't really complain. Lol

Waste of time and money doing it that way.
How's those nails going to hold in a rotted out subfloor?
Sure looks like they also used CDX plywood that's full of voids in the core.
That plywood and the carpet need to come out.
Most likely if this is the original carpet it was laid before the walls when up so you will have to remove the base trim so it can be cut out tight to the base of the walls.
The right way to fix that floor is to cut out the bad areas and replace with new Advantech subflooring.

A 32 year old mobile home with a bad floor has a retail value of zero dollars.

I would suggest if at all possible start shopping around for a new place for mom. Putting any money into that one making proper repairs is just throwing it down the drain. I can see where your family members had good intentions trying to keep mom from going thru the floor in the easiest way possible and the result was it is maybe safer than it was now.

If I read you right the one piece is popping up and she is catching her foot on it and falling. It is pretty hard to splice two sheets together on the surface without having something else sticking up to trip on. If you could get something thin under the sheets where they join and then screw them down it might become better level. Tell the folks that put it down there is a problem and ask them if they can slip a strip of metal under the joint and add a few screws before mom breaks her hip.

Great idea! And thank you for all the information I really appreciate everything! ��❤��❤

Latest posts

Back