Replacing metal roof with asphalt shingles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

So my metal roof sits on 1x8's strung across the trusses that have gaps between them. I am going to pull the metal and sheet the roof. Do I need to pull off the 1x8 or just sheet on top of them? Also many houses out here have roof vents that are metal boxes towards the ridge, I have never seen these before moving here, is there any calculation to know how many or where to place tgem if they are even needed? About 1/4 of the houses I see have them.

What is wrong with your metal roof to make you want to replace it?

It's probably close to 80 years old and insurance will cancel me if I don't change it. I am sure it leaks in places, its not in the best shape.

On what center is the rafters?

Install shingle over ridge vent, works a lot better than the boxes. The box's end up with stagnet air in between them, with ridge vent you have constant exhaust from the run of the ridge.

On what center is the rafters?

Install shingle over ridge vent, works a lot better than the boxes. The box's end up with stagnet air in between them, with ridge vent you have constant exhaust from the run of the ridge.

How is ridge vent done? I believe they are on 24" I will double check. This house has an addition and if I remember correctly it no longer has trusses but just rafters. I'll get some pictures next time I'm over there.

Last edited:
I thought about that. I will have to weigh out the cost difference

You should be able to put a screw down metal roof on for about the cost of installing a dimensional shingle.

Looks like a fairly simple roof, and single story as well. You looking to DIY or hire it out.

Give the Amish a call. They will knock that out in 3 hours for 200 bucks labor.

Opps Amish don't have phones. :)

Still haven't found any amish.

Plan on doing it myself with a helper. What do I do about drip edge

The way the guys did mine there are shapes rolled for every possible transition. The drip edge was a piece about 9x6 like a flashing that went under the roofing and down over the face. It had a flare off the bottom edge. Then the roof extends an inch past. There is a different shape for the edges that overlaps on top of the roofing but past the first ridge in the roofing. He also had some really sticky thick double sided tape he used and foam pieces shaped like the roofing.

Trusswalk-Metal-Roofing-Arab-AL-Metal-roofing-trim.jpg

If it were mine, I would use drip edge, capping, transition flashing and cover the rake edge with preformed metal. Don't use roofing felt as an underlayment, use a high temp peal and stick smooth back underlayment. Where you order the panels will also have all the accessories you will need.

Roofing felt will degrade over time from exposure to the high temp of contact with the metal.

Back