Tackling new glass block window

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
House is 1940s in Pennsylvania. I have a damp garage despite an interior French Drain and I plan to install a prefab glass block window with a vent in an old window location that had been covered over by a previous owner.

The attached photos show the opening after I removed some loose bricks that were just sitting in the opening, no doubt that they were allowing some water into the cinder block wall. The first image is upside-down...

Anyway... how should I proceed to install the glass block window? I believe that the next steps are to square the opening in the bricks with mortar, allow it to dry overnight and then set the window into place. See 3rd pic (rotated), and 4th pic. Most of the glass block windows are 3.25" thick.

The questions that I do have include whether I need to alter the piece of wood trim that will sit over the window on the interior side of the metal sill plate - last picture.

Also, can I just leave that metal sill plate in place? It is corroded on the surface but solid.

Thank you!

20170815_200507.jpg

20170815_200254.jpg

20170815_200110.jpg

20170815_201127.jpg

20170815_200344.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what is normal with those windows but if you have a wood frame do not allow wood to touch concrete or brick, uses sill gasket or what ever. You need a drain on the outside. to keep water away.
And that rusty sill plate is the header holding the weight of all the brick above the opening.

Not sure what is normal with those windows but if you have a wood frame do not allow wood to touch concrete or brick, uses sill gasket or what ever. You need a drain on the outside. to keep water away.
And that rusty sill plate is the header holding the weight of all the brick above the opening.

Would you plan to seat the window so that it is an inch back from the outer brick and under the metal sill, or place it deeper so that it sits inside the concrete block?

I think it would go to the block so the sloped sill is out front of the window. What does the rest of the windows look like.
Does this window have a wood frame?

Back