Front door seal / weatherstrip problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DI_Guy

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post to the forum. I just purchased my first home so I look forward to contributing regularly in the future.

Here is my problem: I removed some old weatherstripping from my front door. The "slot" that the old stripping came out of is very narrow and the replacement stripping I bought at HD just would not fit. Instead of using the existing slot, I bought some "stick on" stripping (Cinch). This stick on stuff is just not what I want. It looks horrible and leaves a gap where the old stripping was. I have included some pictures for you to see.

My question is how do I go about replacing the old stripping (the way it was) without having to using this horrible stick on stuff? Do they make stripping for the smaller slot? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Troy

Stripping1 copy.jpg

Stripping2 copy.jpg

Stripping3 copy.jpg

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the new house.

If you really plan to get rid of the stick-on stuff, take it off and get some new pictures to post. The stuff just makes it more difficult to see what's there. It's possible that you will have to remove a strip of wood from the window to install the weather stripping. Depending on how the window was manufactured, it may not be too hard. I'm sure one of the guys will be along to give more advice soon.

The first picture doesn't have the self stick stuff, this is a door not a window. In looking at my own doors circa 1998-99 they have a similar slot and use a Z-shaped weatherstrip that fits into that slot. If I did this right, here are some photos. You should be able to find replacement weather stripping at your local big box home improvement store.

weather stripping.jpg

weather strip slot.jpg

I think the OP has a really old system from the early sixties, the slot is not in the corner like the new ones and finding one that fits that slot is questionable at best.
Something like what they have now might be close to as good as it gets.

The changing weather actually affects the strip seal, so rather than changing the strip again, i think you should go with the installation of fiberglass door which provides a more security to your home and you even does not to worry about the maintenance of the strip seal. The impact doors with the fiberglass are known to be have strong property to withstand the changing weather. If you think this can help you in any case then you can click over here now to know what else a impact door with fiberglass can give you.

Latest posts

Back