Dishwasher Door hits Refrigerator when open...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nore474

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently redoing my kitchen and I just realized when opening my dishwasher door, it hits the refrigerator. I fell into this trap because I followed the prior kitchens setup (See last picture below). Here are all points pertaining to my current situation....

1. No where else to put the dishwasher
2. The fridge sticks out about 4 inches past the cabinets, and can't push it back because the wall behind it has mirrors. Also, there is no where else it can go.
3. Might be able to cut into the wall behind the dishwasher, but there is sheetrock, a wood frame of 2x4's, and then a cinder block wall.
4. Saw that GE makes an under the sink dishwasher, but it's $850+
Do they make dishwashers with shorter doors?
5. The dishwasher in the renovated kitchen is in just about the same spot as the old kitchen.
6. Refrigerator is currently 32x68x31. Nearly impossible to find a 32x??x27 refrigerator.
7. Fisher Paykel makes a dishwasher with two drawers, but they go for $1,300+!!

Resolutions others have come up with:

1. Easiest: Counter depth refrigerators are available but nowhere near a popular as standard depth so most retailers don't keep them in stock but they can be special ordered. A counter depth fridge will be at least several hundred dollars more expensive than it's full size/depth version.

2. Crazy Expensive: Re-do the cabinetry and counter paying attention to your appliance sizes. Move the sink 4-6" to the left or shift the sink to the right so there is enough room for the dishwasher on the left of the sink.

3. You can install one or two pull out dishwasher drawers. As you noted they are expensive and also small so you'll likely want two of them.

4. Remove the small closet/pantry and move the fridge further away from the dishwasher.

I am open to all suggestions! The one "Fix all" seems to be finding a dishwasher with a shorter door!?!? Does this exist?

Thanks!

IMG_7058.JPG

IMG_7059.JPG

IMG_6962.JPG

IMG_6922.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
A counter depth fridge should solve your problem. Both of my last homes I have needed them, and they are available everywhere. Heck, Home Depot carries about 10 of them in stock at all times.

Another option you may explore is what I did with my gun safe. It was too big to fit in my closet and I was unable to close the closet door. I pulled the drywall and 2x4 framing from behind the safe, boxed and supported the studs, and it gave me an additional 4" to push back the safe. I don't know if this will help you as it did me, but something to throw out. Just remember, some refrigerators need rear venting for air circulation.

...Or swap the cabinet with drawers with the dishwasher and vise versa.

Last edited:
You should have put a spacer between the dishwasher and the cabinets to move the dishwasher over a few inches. That would have likely required a smaller drawer unit to the left of the sink. Now that the counters and cabinets are done, you're kind of in a tough spot. This is one of the reasons a good kitchen designer is worth the money.

You could go with a cabinet depth refrigerator.

Thanks all! Super helpful

I think I am leaning towards getting a used Fisher & Paykel dishwasher. This seems to be the most cost efficient method, and this house is a flip that is close to being finished. I would definitely feel better if it went on the market with a properly operating dishwasher. If they would like to replace the refrigerator or dishwasher down the line they would be able to do so.

Behind this wall is an outlet and full size wall mirrors on the other side of the wall that goes into the living room.

this house is a flip

So, you are unaware of the practice of taking your dimensioned plan to home depot, asking them to do a prospective and layout for you, which would have identified this problem for you, allowing you to address it prior to ordering your bag-n-box modular cabinets.

Boy, have you got a lot too learn.

Isn't the easiest option just to sell the fridge and buy another one that doesn't stick out so far? Heck, if it's a new fridge you might even be able to return it.

The house is a flip get a smaller fridge.

Isn't the easiest option just to sell the fridge and buy another one that doesn't stick out so far? Heck, if it's a new fridge you might even be able to return it.

I agree 1,000%, and my next step was going to get a counter depth refrigerator which seemed like the best bang for the buck, until I found a very clean Fisher & Paykel stainless steel dishwasher on Craigslist for about $400.

Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts

Back