Steel Siding and spray foam insulation leaking at base of wall--Help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theboldhomestead

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My husband and I do a lot of diy and handy work but this one's got us stumped. We recently bought this house that was built in 2007 with steel siding and had spray foam insulation directly applied to it. The house is two story on a concrete slab, and the foundation is above water level. There are no gutters.

Now, during heavy rain storms water is coming in at the the base of the wall. During the recent storms that hit, there was a mini flood, pooling about 6' in diameter around that side of the house.

Is there any way that we can fix this without reconstructing the wall? I have a feeling that a simple caulking isn't going to fix this.

Please help!

The lot needs to drain away from the dwelling.

The house is positioned on a hill, so the water is not getting in that way. It has to be somehow coming in through the siding when the rain falls on that side of the house. Is there a way to install a sill plate after the fact? I'm not sure how to fix this without ripping off the siding and foam insulation.

Post a picture of the outside of the house where it's leaking.
Most often the slab sit's out beyond the sidewall causing the leak.

The house is positioned on a hill, so the water is not getting in that way. It has to be somehow coming in through the siding when the rain falls on that side of the house. Is there a way to install a sill plate after the fact? I'm not sure how to fix this without ripping off the siding and foam insulation.

From post#1;"During the recent storms that hit, there was a mini flood, pooling about 6' in diameter around that side of the house."

Proper drainage precludes "pooling".

Your house is called slab-on-grade and is required to be 6" above grade, by code

"Pooling" will overcome your "slab on grade" construction.

From post#1;"During the recent storms that hit, there was a mini flood, pooling about 6' in diameter around that side of the house."

Proper drainage precludes "pooling".

Your house is called slab-on-grade and is required to be 6" above grade, by code

"Pooling" will overcome your "slab on grade" construction.

I see the confusion. I meant that the pooling was on the inside of the house. There was not water above the slab outside. The slab is 12" above grade.

Picture of the wall would help anything like windows between roof and base where the pooling is.

Back