Noisy fridge problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I have a noisy fridge. It gets noisy for hours at a time, but is not constant. 95% sure it's the fan in the back.

Do I need new blades? A new motor? Clean the dust?

Here's a pic. I have a video but haven't uploaded it yet.

0918170625a.jpg

Is the compressor missing some mounting bolts?

The buzzing stops when I hold the compressor still with my hand, so I know this is the problem.

But do you see where the bolt is missing on the left side of the compressor? There is a piece of metal blocking me from putting a bolt in. I don't know what that's about.

you may have to loosen the others and get it striaght so the holes line up better.
Careful, you do not want to break those copper pipes.

you may have to loosen the others and get it striaght so the holes line up better.
Careful, you do not want to break those copper pipes.

Okay. But unfortunately, I don't think it is the whole problem. I hear buzzing from somewhere else and I just can't locate it. I tried pushing everything to stop the rattling and nothing worked. I will just have to keep trying.

Do you know the best way to clean the dust and grime?

You should be able to tell if its the fan by the compressor. Un plug the fan to see if the noise stops when the fan stops. If not , it could be the evaporator fan in the freezer. If ice builds up because a auto defroster isnt working properly the fan blades can hit the ice. this fan is located behind the back panel inside the freezer.

You should be able to tell if its the fan by the compressor. Un plug the fan to see if the noise stops when the fan stops. If not , it could be the evaporator fan in the freezer. If ice builds up because a auto defroster isnt working properly the fan blades can hit the ice. this fan is located behind the back panel inside the freezer.

It is the compressor fan. Not sure how to make it stop buzzing, though. But at least I know what it is.

It's probably the starter solenoid and if it's external it can be replaced. It's located where the wires go to the compressor.

Latest posts

Back