Skylight leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swindmill

Reaction score
I have water leaking on a bottom corner of a skylight. I have experience with minor roofing and flashing from installing vents, etc., but I've never dealt with a skylight. I'm not sure what the pitch of the roof is off hand, but it's not much of a pitch. Water seems to gather at the corner where the leak is. I'd like to pull the skylight apart from the top and inspect it, but I'm not sure where to start. The leak doesn't appear to be an issue with the flashing, but I can't be 100% sure at this point. The brand is Velux. I've attached pictures to give an idea of what I'm dealing with.The third picture shows the roof pitch. The leaking skylight is on the lower part of the roof. And advice on how to pull apart the skylight from the roof, short of removing it would be appreciated. Also, any ideas as to what the source of the leak is and how to ultimately proceed. Thanks for any help.

IMG_8786.jpg

IMG_8787.jpg

IMG_8788.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like it is installed correctly. A friend had a similar problem a few years ago. We pulled down the trim and some drywall on the inside to se water tracks on the wood and found the leak was actually a a problem with flashing a few feet above the skylight. The skylight was fine.
I would check for leaks inside the other skylight, it could just run down the rafters. Then I would pull the trim on the inside and see if there is more hints at what the source might be.

It’s difficult or impossible to tell from the picture, but the leak actually originates from above the roof. In the very top corner just below the glass. I’m thinking there’s a gasket or something below the metal frame.

That’s what I’m hoping. I got up there and removed a few screws, but I can’t figure out how to pull the glass from the frame. I’ve been searching for a how-to ,but no luck yet.

Back