Brick Floor - I think I screwed it up

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb799

Reaction score
Hello!

We have a 50 year old house with a brick (Veneer?) floor.

The floor is filthy and I found that scrubbing it with oxyclean really got the dirt out.

It also partially stripped the floor, as best I can tell.

So now what? Do I need to full on strip everything, if so what product do you recommend?

Is there a sealer that will take care of this without stripping?

I would like to have a nice glossy finish on the floor, what do you recommend of sealing?

Thanks for the help!

CB

bXjqYk

ckmFzQ

fXhzR5

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Welcome to the forums.
Not going to like my answer hope someone else comes up with a better one.
Brick is porous and near impossible to clean on a horizontal surface.
Oxy clean is a powder, now it's flowed down into the pores and dried.
That type flooring will remain impossible to keep clean.
Time for a do over with a different type of flooring.

I would wet it down and mop it over again, then use a wet shop vac and suck up any remaining water and debris.
You may have to do this again just to get up everything.

If it works , seal it !!
You've got nothing to loose.

:agree: Before I ripped it up i would do the above a couple times and if the white stain is still there i would experiment with a red stain as well before the sealer.

You can fix it.

You can always try your solution in an inconspicuous place. Does the brick extend into a closet?

I wonder how a rental carpet cleaner would do on this floor to wet it, scrub it and immediately suck the dirty water off of the floor? The kind of carpet cleaner they rent at Lowe's and Home Depot. Bissell is one brand of commercial rental unit. Once cleaned let it dry and then try a sealer or a stain and sealer.

I was thinking the same thing about the carpet cleaner. Use it with no soap, just water, as I think what you are seeing is the soap residue.

Last edited:
prosoco has products that will do the job - but you'll also need wet/dri vac,,, we use floor buffers & brush

Latest posts

Back