Ideas to make this house exterior better?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexw

Reaction score
Hi everyone

This home is in a great location and has good bones, but exterior is really funky as it sits. Could be a fun project though.

What do you think about these ideas?

1. Siding on side of house replaced with cedar shingle panels or a lookalike?

2. Decks on front likely replaced with some sort of portico, maybe a drive through portico with cedar columns. portico extend the length of the front of the house? roof line ideas?

3. 2 existing doors on front of 2nd story, replaced with bay windows of some sort?

Is there an hope for this house? Please chime in with ideas and opinions. If anyone can help with photoshopping any looks that would be awesome!

Could this have a modern mountain cabin vibe if done right??

You are the best!

BUDGET: $80,000

-Al

house1 front.jpg

house2 side.jpg

The stone doesn't do it for me, it is really busy. Maybe it looks better in person. A stacked stone would look better. I assume the stone is a thin veneer.

You could keep the doors, but I'd go with much smaller balconies instead of two big honking decks on the front of the house. Are they off of bedrooms? I see a back deck at the same height, is there a lower deck on the back for the first floor? The second story doors and windows don't line up with the first-floor windows. Without some kind of balcony I think that would really stick out, the house is otherwise symetrical.

If you're willing to put $80K into the house will the market bear that much improvement? Where does this house fall in price with the comps in the neighborhood? Before I plunked down $80K I'd probably take part of that money and get an architect to come up with a design. Or, submit it to This Old House Magazine and maybe they'll do one of their free-bee photoshop makeovers on the house. Some of their designs are pretty amazing.

What is your time frame? Do you own it or are you thinking about buying it?

The stone doesn't do it for me, it is really busy. Maybe it looks better in person. A stacked stone would look better. I assume the stone is a thin veneer.

You could keep the doors, but I'd go with much smaller balconies instead of two big honking decks on the front of the house. Are they off of bedrooms? I see a back deck at the same height, is there a lower deck on the back for the first floor? The second story doors and windows don't line up with the first-floor windows. Without some kind of balcony I think that would really stick out, the house is otherwise symetrical.

If you're willing to put $80K into the house will the market bear that much improvement? Where does this house fall in price with the comps in the neighborhood? Before I plunked down $80K I'd probably take part of that money and get an architect to come up with a design. Or, submit it to This Old House Magazine and maybe they'll do one of their free-bee photoshop makeovers on the house. Some of their designs are pretty amazing.

What is your time frame? Do you own it or are you thinking about buying it?

Thanks sparky.
This house is on lake norman with a deeded boat slip. It is priced about $100 a sq ft, vs $130-200 for houses in similar locations. Cheapest house in the neighborhood. This house comes in 100k under budget because it is so ugly on outside. But it is 3800 sq ft and has 2 living spaces (good for us)

Back deck is 3 stories high! with no deck on the 1st or 2nd floors. Think one deck is off loft and other bedroom.

not mine, thinking of buying.

Trying to see if there are good bones here.

Last edited:
I have always liked the look of the gable one.
Just looking at maybe higher on your house might look good.
There is something about your dormer that is just wrong. maybe windows instead of vent.

I have always liked the look of the gable one.
Just looking at maybe higher on your house might look good.
There is something about your dormer that is just wrong. maybe windows instead of vent.

I know, that dang dormer. Messes up the roof lines of anything i try to add in terms of a portico etc.

I think 90% of the problem would disappear if you are able to get rid of that very busy stone face. But I also like your comp #3.

BTW; "good bones" would be referring to the structure of the house more than the look of it, and it should be your primary concern. Unfortunately, there is little we can offer in determining the structural integrity from this distance.

Back