new floor (about 1.5 years old) is starting to bulge up

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merk

Reaction score
HI All,

Had some new flooring from republic flooring installed on top of the existing wood flooring about a year and half ago. 2-3 months ago i noticed one section where it seemed there was just a tiny bit of flexing up and down on the new flooring. You could barely feel it.

Now today in a totally different area of the house there is a section of flooring that is flexing much more. You can visibly see the section of flooring moving up and down when you step on it. It may have been that way for a while, but I'm pretty sure it's relatively recent.

Contractor we hired to do all this wasn't the best, so I'm worried that they screwed something up. The only real prep work they did prior to actually installing the flooring was putting down a thin vapor barrier between the existing flooring and new flooring. Any ideas what might be going wrong?

I forgot about that - I'll have to pry off the base moulding and see if those planks are butting up against the wall or not. I know the guy doing the install mentioned he was leaving a small gap for expansion, and he did do that. But I didn't inspect every plank so maybe one of these was cut too close.

I'll pull off the moulding and check later this week. Thanks for the suggestion.

He may have done that but if one nail was driven through the 1/4 round into the floor instead of the baseboard it can not expand.

Back