How to get these three outlets working?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
This is in a mobile home. All breakers work. All wall switches are on. So it must be something specific to the outlet.

Where to start?

0924171431.jpg

0924171411.jpg

0924171410.jpg

There all cheap backstabbed outlets, replace them.
Wrap the wires around the screws in clockwise direction.
That last one is a GFI, tried resetting it?

There all cheap backstabbed outlets, replace them.
Wrap the wires around the screws in clockwise direction.
That last one is a GFI, tried resetting it?

On the last one, the buttons seem to be stuck. It doesn't even push.

Do I have to replace them with regular household outlets and then put in a work box? Or are you suggesting replacing them with the same type of outlet? Because I don't think there is anything to wrap a screw around if I replace them with the same type of outlet.

And can you really be 100% sure that it's the outlets and not something with the wiring further upstream? Is there an easy way to test this? I have a multimeter.

Last edited:
Is there a way to verify that it is the outlet and not wiring? I have a multimeter.

0925171401.jpg

Is there a way to verify that it is the outlet and not wiring? I have a multimeter.

The first thing you check is gfci as the other two like come from there.
You should find power on the line side as that comes from the breaker.
The load side will be feeding the other two.

The first thing you check is gfci as the other two like come from there.
You should find power on the line side as that comes from the breaker.
The load side will be feeding the other two.

Only one outlet in the house has a GFCI and it is one of the outlets in question. All 3 outlets are not on the same breaker. I took the wires out of one of the outlets and tested the bare wires with a circuit tester. There was no voltage. Does this mean that it is the wiring and not the outlet? Should I repeat this test (multimeter on bare wires) for all 3?

You last picture is a gfci........
Why do you think they are on different circuits.

Okay actually #2 and #3 are on the same breaker. But on that same breaker, everything else works besides these two outlets. This includes 6 light sockets, a fan, and several other outlets. The GFCI buttons seem to be stuck. The two non-working outlets on this breaker (pictures 2 and 3) are in separate rooms. The GFCI in the bathroom and the other one in the bedroom.

Picture #1 is on the other end of the mobile home on a different breaker. I know this because I tested at the panel.

This is my plan... Will you tell me if it will work? I want to remove all the non-working outlets by removing them and testing the bare wires with my multimeter. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Maybe but humor me first, check for power on the load side of the gfci unless there is only one set of wires there.

If there is 120V on the line side of the GFCI in picture #3 and the buttons do not reset it, than replace it because it has failed, as they do.

Maybe but humor me first, check for power on the load side of the gfci unless there is only one set of wires there.

How do I do this? I see the black and white wire going in to where it says "load" on the GFCI outlet.

I have a multimeter. Do I have to remove the wires from the outlet? And what about the outlet that is on a different breaker?

How do I do this? I see the black and white wire going in to where it says "load" on the GFCI outlet.

I have a multimeter. Do I have to remove the wires from the outlet? And what about the outlet that is on a different breaker?

Remove the load wires and stick short wires in there and measure that
Or remove all wires, join black to black and white to white and then check the other outlets.
Keep track of which are load and line
Again. how do you know some are on another breaker

Remove the load wires and stick short wires in there and measure that
Or remove all wires, join black to black and white to white and then check the other outlets.
Keep track of which are load and line
Again. how do you know some are on another breaker

Because when I turn this breaker off, the light right next to the other outlet works. It's on the other side of the house.

I don't have a screwdriver small enough to remove the back of this outlet so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

What is a short wire?

Last edited:
Because whenten I turn this breaker off, the light right next to the other outlet works. It's on the other side of the house.

I don't have a screwdriver small enough to remove the back of this outlet so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

What is a short wire?

Lights are often on a different circuit so the lights don't go out when you pop a breaker.

Because when I turn this breaker off, the light right next to the other outlet works. It's on the other side of the house.

What is a short wire?

No screwdriver necessary;

There are wirenuts visible in the GFCI box, shut that breaker off, remove the wirenuts keeping the wires separate, turn the breaker back on and test the wires for 120V.

There are wirenuts visible in the GFCI box, shut that breaker off, remove the wirenuts keeping the wires separate, turn the breaker back on and test the wires for 120V.

No pigtails in a gfci box both wires are plugged into the outlet

So I put one terminal of the multimeter to the black wire, and the other to the white? And if it reads 0, then it is the wiring that's messed up, not the outlet? That's what I did with the wires in the other end of the house, and it read 0. Does this mean it is not the outlet? How do I even begin fixing this if it is the wiring in the wall?

Basically, if it's the outlet, I can just replace the outlet, but if it's the wiring in the wall, I don't even know where to begin trying to fix that.

Last edited:
So I put one terminal of the multimeter to the black wire, and the other to the white? And if it reads 0, then it is the wiring that's messed up, not the outlet? That's what I did with the wires in the other end of the house, and it read 0. Does this mean it is not the outlet? How do I even begin fixing this if it is the wiring in the wall?

If that is a gfci there are two sets of wires if the outlet is bad one set of wires should still be live.

If it reads "0" volts then you are correct, it is in the wiring, and now the fun begins, you star by determining what that breaker controls and then opening light fixture boxes and conducting continuity as well as voltage checks.

Latest posts

Back