How to fix a clogged garbage disposal?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
Water doesn't drain. Been like this for weeks. Just hums when I flip the switch.

Problem started when I poured molasses down that side of the sink. (Not joking)

0925170521a.jpg

I would pull it and park it uipside down in the sun and hope it would come out. If it doesn't come out you will be half way to re and re.:hide:

You already have obvious leakage. I would remove and replace. Then follow some basic rules:

1. Never use your garbage disposal ... ever. They are worthless
2. Never put eggs shells into them
3. Never put starchy food like rice, pasta, potato peelings, oatmeal, etc into them
4. Never put stringy veggies into them like celery, carrots, zucchini
5. Never put hot grease or fluids that might coagulate like bacon fat, molasses, etc.

You already have obvious leakage. I would remove and replace. Then follow some basic rules:

3. Never put starchy food like rice, pasta, potato peelings, oatmeal, etc into them
5. Never put hot grease or fluids that might coagulate like bacon fat, molasses, etc.

Corn husks need to be on that list:thbup:

So why even have one?

There should be a large Allen bolt in the bottom where you can fit an Allen wrench...if so, see if you can turn the motor by hand using the wrench? Run hot water while you do it. I've learned this fix from my wife who use to work for a home warranty company and the techs would tell her this to relay to the callers, haha. FYI, they also trained her to deny claims( they do not want to payout!) What a scam!

If it is the molasses stopping it up pour boiling water down the drain, that should loosen it up. Then take the Allen wrench and work it back and forth to free it up.

We use our disposal all the time. Though we compost most vegetable wastes. Never do corn husks, small amounts of celery won't jam it, never had a problem with carrots, zucchini. Grease shouldn't go down the drain regardless of having a disposal. It doesn't help a septic tank and it can clog the sewers as it congeals leading to sewage spills.

The main use of a disposal is to take care of what you scrape off of your plates. Not to dispose of all the chicken bones from your stock making operation (personal experience speaking here).

If it is the molasses stopping it up pour boiling water down the drain, that should loosen it up. Then take the Allen wrench and work it back and forth to free it up.

We use our disposal all the time. Though we compost most vegetable wastes. Never do corn husks, small amounts of celery won't jam it, never had a problem with carrots, zucchini. Grease shouldn't go down the drain regardless of having a disposal. It doesn't help a septic tank and it can clog the sewers as it congeals leading to sewage spills.

The main use of a disposal is to take care of what you scrape off of your plates. Not to dispose of all the chicken bones from your stock making operation (personal experience speaking here).

No the last thing he needs is to get this stuff moving into the rest of the system
:down:

No the last thing he needs is to get this stuff moving into the rest of the system
:down:

You pour enough boiling water down the drain it will dilute it enough that it won't be a problem. IMHO. But YMMV.

You pour enough boiling water down the drain it will dilute it enough that it won't be a problem. IMHO. But YMMV.

You are assuming that the pipe is not already lined with stuff that will slow it down. At the very least I would pull the trap and see as we could think that some made it down the drain at the time.

I put everything in my garbage disposer except chicken skin, large bones and corn husks and I have never had a problem. I agree with pouring boiling water into it and using the allen wrench back and forth.

you are supposed to melt the molasses in the hot water
just like you melt your sugar in the hot water
then pour it over the grain
why in the hell did you pour sticky *** thick molasses down the drain?
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boY7i11aYRA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boY7i11aYRA[/ame]

What are the pros and cons of having a garbage disposal in my residence?

Once I have it out, I can pour boiling water to try to clear it? Or must I replace?

Do I have to remove the cabinet to get the electrical out?

1023170349.jpg

Last edited:
Install an electrical box and cap the wires inside the box. That way if someone wants to add back a disposal the power is available. With it capped inside a box you will be legal. You could install an outlet, being in a kitchen a GFCI would be required.

I like having a disposal though we mainly compost what we can. We're on sewers so I'm not concerned with overwhelming a septic tank with extra water and extra solids. If I was on a septic I would do without a disposal.

You have nothing to lose by pulling it out and pouring boiling water through the disposal. Work it loose with the hex key on the bottom after pouring water through it.

Latest posts

Back