One room at a time to help afford costs?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertThoreson

Reaction score
So my whole home needs light fixtures in every room. The outlets have been updated already and I'm wondering if it would be smart to just do it one room at a time. I would pull all the plaster down myself, have an electrition run the wires then hang drywall and paint myself. The wife don't want me to tear all the walls down tho bc she thinks I will take too long. Any advice?

It will be cheaper to do all at once but more of an upfront cost. The alternative is how you described one room at a time which will help your pocket book in the short term but likely cost much more in the long run, especially if you are hiring people to do anything.

I would cut what ever holes are needed to rewire the house. Do temp patches in most rooms to make them safe to use and then carry on one room at a time.

If you are just changing light fixtures - and not the wiring - then you can take your time and do it at any speed you choose.
BUT....if you are changing the wiring...especially if it involves changes at the service panel ("breaker box") then you will want to address it all at once, since many of the wires will reach across several rooms. You don't want to have junction boxes all over the place.

It may not be necessary to remove the entire ceiling. Wires can be snaked across ceilings and just need a couple access holes which can then be patched. Even a small hole over a ceiling joist is much easier than doing a full ceiling job....unless the ceiling is already bad.

Dave Mason

Latest posts

Back