Roof Deck - So Cal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A contractor proposed a Westcoat 6 or 7 step fiberglass or lathe waterproofing system for a decent sized residential deck (13x13ish) that is the roof of a inhabited interior area and will have fairly light traffic (it's off a bedroom). (This system is probably Westcoat ALX, but checking to see if it is MACoat). The waterproofing membrane is a slurry (polymer modifed cementitious) that dries solid and then has additional cementitious layers over it. There is no rubber or plastic continuous membrane. In this application the warranty requires inspection & maintenance every 2 years.
The maintenance schedule is not ideal. I would rather have something with a longer maintenance cycle but don’t know the alternatives.
Does anyone have experience with this system and have any comments, concerns, endorsement or condemnation?

The thicker vinyl deck is considered a roofing material up here. But no one does it DIY
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x2zWoxJRk4[/ame]

This Co. is in Santa Fe Springs; http://lifedeck.biz

I've installed it for years and they have "Cool Deck" coatings which are cool on you feet, on those hot days.

Thank you guys. Snoonyb the lifedeck system looks very similar to the Westcoat. I take it you prefer to a continuous membrane and have no problems with the maintenance.

Interestingly, in the market place, a retailer may have rebranded a product to narrow the competitive arena, and you didn't say what specific manufacturer your quote was based upon.

Had that been known, the product could have been researched.

There is a lot that is involved with the method you select, not the least of which is the condition as well as the composition of the process being resurfaced.

LIFEDECK has a technical department with a wealth of information beyond that online.

Maintenance may be little more than another coat of the finish.

Remember, more roofing failures result from faulty workmanship than product failure. Familiarize yourself with installation as well as product.

Thanks again - the product is Westcoat, based in San Diego with a website. They claim since 1981. Plenty of technical info on the website (but outside my expertise and experience). I was looking for an overall picture of this kind of system (or experience with this system) compared with a continuous membrane (vinyl/rubber) approach. I do not plan on applying it myself as it appears to be a product that commands an experienced hand.

Thanks.

Actually, the warranty demands a certified installer, which then begs the questions; who does the inspection, repairs, at what cost and does Westcoat stand behind the warranty should the installer, they certified, abandon the business?

LIFEDECK has a similar system, however the substrate most be stable with absolutely no flexing.

Exactly my concerns. I forwarded those questions to the contractor. Since the deck is on frame construction, I am worried if the substrate is adequately rigid.

How does it feel when you walk it, and what is the response if you bounce.

I'm 6'5 over 300 lbs. I can make it move. Is it possible to make it rigid enough with an extra layer of 3/4 - or with 5/4s plywood? Or must we go to a more flexible membrane?

The system you are comfortable with, or that can be installed, with the level of confidence to warranty the installation, can be affected by the actual space available, IE.
the difference between the deck surface and the floor level of the dwelling, as well as how many layers of material are presently on the deck surface.

The least costly of which would be the MA or similar, or what you have expressed as a less than desirable alternative.

Were I to walk the deck I would explain the alternatives to you, as well as give you the
estimates for those alternatives, as a courtesy.

Snoonyb I really appreciate your taking the time to help here. I know you are taking valuable time and I appreciate it. The deck is about 13 ft sq and solid. I can walk on it w/o feeling any softness or flex. But you can feel the vibrations (not so much flex) as someone walks around. With a 13' span I would expect that, but don't know its implications for this type of system. I am 6'5" & over 300 lbs. I can jump and that someone can really feel through their body, but again it really doesn't feel like much flex.

That's probably why the MA system was suggested.

The LIFEDECK products are locally available to the public and their tech. dept. is available for methods of addressing difficulties which can be accomplished without much special knowledge.As I said, the repairs can be a simple as the application of a new finish coat, a gal. of finish, a paint roller and a cheap 4" paint brush.

I don't work for LIFEDECK, I'm an optimistic talented laborer.

Latest posts

Back