What type of light do I need to look for to replace this one?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agateaqua

Reaction score
Hello all :)

I have had this old lamp in my bathroom for way to long and want to replace it.

https://ibb.co/mOpMi6

Any idea what I should look for when buying a new lamp ?
Because I don't have a clue :)

thanks

It's mostly an aesthetic question. LED bulbs can fit just about any fixture these days. So choose what you like.
You may want to remove the existing fixture and see how it is connected to the electrical system. It should have a junction box behind the fixture, but I have seen some weird and even dangerous shortcuts taken.

Yes, it seems that fixture is a very wide double sink width.

Although Home Depot, Lowes and other big box stores has light fixtures it really depends on your tastes and the look of the bathroom.

Light fixtures can range greatly in price. You may be best off going to a local lighting store that will have a much greater selection on display than the big box stores will have. This way you can actually see the fixture, touch and sense if it will serve your purposes. Shopping for one online may not give you the ability to feel it the light fixture will be what you want until you get it in your hands. Take a measurement of the length of the fixture you have now and go to a store.

LED's are becoming more popular. But one thing I would suggest is that you check that "bulbs" are a standard size and replaceable, so that you will be able to find a replacement for when it burns out in 5 years.

It's mostly an aesthetic question. LED bulbs can fit just about any fixture these days. So choose what you like.
You may want to remove the existing fixture and see how it is connected to the electrical system. It should have a junction box behind the fixture, but I have seen some weird and even dangerous shortcuts taken.

Agreed, I would see what's behind that fixture before shopping for a new light. If there is a box it should be in the center of the old light.

That particular style of fixture lends itself to a full width mirror and either/or a double sink vanity and the aesthetics demanded can dictate the fixture chosen to replace it;
So I could buy a full length (48'") or two smaller (I assume any small width is fine) lights ? Because I asked at lampplus several times in email , & I'm not getting any answers :)

So I could buy a full length (48'") or two smaller (I assume any small width is fine) lights ? Because I asked at lampplus several times in email , & I'm not getting any answers :)

If you by 2 smaller, shorter, fixtures and you have only a single fixture box, you'll need them to be joinable or you'll need to add another fixture box for them both to work.

I only view products on-line, and visit the store for finite details, because I'm old fashioned and want to see their smiling face when they take my money.

agateaqua you will need to pay a bit more attention to the specific questions being asked of you by at least two persons, slownsteady and Snoonyb which are important that you respond and so far I have not seen that you have responded. The questions relate to the type of box that the present light is mounted to. This can make a big difference to the type of light/s that you may be limited to. Please read the responses by these replies referencing the type of box that is behind the present fixture. Then you will receive more accurate/useful advise - this decision is not only up to "what kind of light you want" but what kind of light you may only be able to use.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back