Sealing gap between concrete sidewalk and stone foundation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cincinnatikid

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was looking to seal the gap between my sidewalk and foundation that runs the length of the house on both sides before winter this year. It is a wider gap, probably a 1/2" or more most of the way. I have been able to get foam backer rod in and a polyurethane concrete sealant product is what I plan on using.

But in spots the gap is much wider. Talking 2-3" wide and maybe 4-5" deep before it hits anything. Are there any suggested means of tackling these particular spots? I thought about filling it with something (sand) so that it's not too deep for the backer rod and then just twisting a few rods together so that they cover the width better, then going over with the sealant.

I'm sure ya'll have some suggestions and I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,

Scott

Appreciate the response.

My only concern with that solution is the inconsistent edges on both the foundation wall (stone) and the concrete sidewalk.

Pictures of some spots for reference are attached. Hard to see but in last photo with hand in the gap I can get over half hand in and reach under the actual concrete slab.

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2597.JPG

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2599.JPG

pack th hole with sand, then use a concrete crack sealant flexable

Hi all,

I was looking to seal the gap between my sidewalk and foundation that runs the length of the house on both sides before winter this year. It is a wider gap, probably a 1/2" or more most of the way. I have been able to get foam backer rod in and a polyurethane concrete sealant product is what I plan on using.

But in spots the gap is much wider. Talking 2-3" wide and maybe 4-5" deep before it hits anything. Are there any suggested means of tackling these particular spots? I thought about filling it with something (sand) so that it's not too deep for the backer rod and then just twisting a few rods together so that they cover the width better, then going over with the sealant.

I'm sure ya'll have some suggestions and I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,

Scott

ide be looking at epoxy concrete products, sir ... thx :agree:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Southern-Pine-Asphalt-Impregnated-Board-A11230848096/206086210

cut this in long strips, install so that it is flush with the concrete
sill the annular space with concrete.

I totally agree with this - 1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Southern Pine Asphalt Impregnated Board - that's great barrier filler" thanks for the details" ile use this application in my next addition :agree:

Durable product
Guards against water, air penetration
1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Southern Pine Asphalt Impregnated Board

Back